benchmark comparison of ZFS X LVM X LVM thin x BTRFS

I would to share this article comparing benchmark for ZFS X LVM X LVM thin x BTRFS
https://www.assyoma.it/single-post/...lvm-with-kvm-a-storage-performance-comparison
Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiments and share them with us, it's very helpful - maybe add some graphs from a spreadsheet next time? excel/libreoffice calc charts work great

I saw this line you mentioned I wanted to respond to:

[paraphrasing]

ZFS is a proven filesystem under Solaris and FreeBSD. While Linux has a kernel module, it is not a direct port: ZoL uses the Sun Porting Layer (SPL), which is a shim that provides compatibility by emulating Solaris APIs.

It's not possible to include ZFS in the mainline kernel. Additionally, remember to enable xattr=sa to avoid some rare, nasty bugs.
This was a few years ago, but wanted to let you know
  1. The ZoL team adapted SPL for ZFS on Linux and no longer packages it separately
  2. The main development platform switched from OpenSolaris forks (OmniOS, et. al) to Linux in 2017 and they've been porting it back to FreeBSD & Solarish from Linux ever since (to the extent anyone even uses those OS anymore). So it's actually quite the opposite. I know, because when I read the discussion in their dev's mailing list, I was really upset because my file server ran OmniOS, and and I loved it (RIP)
  3. The issue isn't the legacy OpenSolaris API, it's the software license. CDDL and GPL are not compatible because CDDL is not copyleft, and to include it taints the kernel.
However, you can build the modules in-tree if you want, it avoids the chance your won't be able to access your storage if you have an unsuccessful dkms compilation:

https://github.com/averyfreeman/zfs-kernel-builder

The script needs a revamp for the 6.x kernel, so now that I use proxmox I'll patch from the PVE source repo and update you when I'm finished, but I thought you might think that was cool if you hadn't heard of doing it yet. And again, thanks for the benchmarks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!