Base template on SSD drive - how good is the performance improvement?

Progratron

Feb 27, 2019
Actually the subject says it all...

I have a server with ZFS where I have 2xSSDs in mirror where proxmox installation, L2ARC and ZIL reside. Then a bunch of 10k HDDs in a pool where the VMs are running.

On a different forum thread I have read that a) using linked clones does not affect performance and b) putting the template on an ssd drive might even produce a performance gain... The question is how good that gain might be?

I want to get at least general feeling if it worths it, before I'll invest my time in reinstalling all the VMs :)

IIRC, the linked clone must be on the same storage, at least that was true at some point. If it is still true, you cannot have your base images on the SSDs.

I never use templates (as PVE VM templates) nowadays, because you still have to install a lot of security updates after cloning. I only use real PVE VM templates for stuff that's not going to change like 2K3 or 2K8 or in the near future 2K12 machines. Windows Server that are still under support, I just have a normal VM that can be started, updated, halted and still serve as a template for others.

Reactions: Progratron
Thanks for your reply! I think I wrote it to late yesterday evening :) Thinking logically you are right - doesn't make sense at all! Sorry.

This thread has irritated me :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!