andyn

Jan 29, 2020
I have 2 proxmox notes (not clustered) in my test environment.
I have a number of VMs on each, and before I start testing I want to back them all up so that I can reset to the start of the test (yes I'll also use snapshots, but this provides a way to re-create the whole environment on different hardware if needed.
Funny thing - tried to do a backup to local storage because it should be faster than over the network, but the backup routine won't run at all if the NAS is offline, even though local storage is specified.
Same result from command line or GUI.
Here's the output from the task pane in the GUI

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 4611 --node test1 --compress zstd --mode snapshot --storage local --remove 0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 4611 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2020-06-16 10:09:21
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: VM Name: 26A
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'local-zfs:vm-4611-disk-0' 150G
INFO: creating archive '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-4611-2020_06_16-10_09_21.vma.zst'
INFO: starting kvm to execute backup task
ERROR: Backup of VM 4611 failed - storage 'NAS' is not online
INFO: Failed at 2020-06-16 10:09:23
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

1) If I'm not using the storage called 'NAS', why does it matter when it's offline?
2) Will I run into other issues when the NAS is offline? It's only needed when building new VMs, as it's a central store of ISOs.

does your VM reference an ISO image located on that NAS? if so, starting the VM will fail, and backing up a VM always implies starting it (the backup mechanism runs within the Qemu process, so if the VM is not running it will be started in a paused state without actually running).

Ah, of course it does! The virtual CD-Rom hardware is linked to a .ISO on the NAS. I'll remove the CD Drive, there's no need for it now that I have finished installation.
Many thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!