Backups testing

coristo

Oct 25, 2020
Hi,
I cannot use Proxmox Backup Server, because my Proxmox VE is v5.4.
I'd like to upgrade it so I've created backups of all VMs, but have no idea how to test it...

normally you'd test backups by restoring them, e.g. to a new id and check if it still works the the content is still there

Sure, but this method is okay only, when I need to check only few backups. What when it's 60 VMs? ;)

Ok, so i will just trust it's ok ;)
Linux servers that are not database servers typically are fine, I test restoring mine every couple of months.
Database servers should also have another means of backups and you can restore the VM with the backup but may need to drop database and import external backups.

Cant speak for windows.
I'm not using Windows :)
So i just need to trust. Thanks ! :)

No matter who says what, everybody setup is different, ***TEST***

And I can speak from experience, its never as simple as the manuals say, but if it is YEA!

More you test the more comfortable you will feel. But as said above, retesting helps maintain that trust and confidence.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!