Hi,

Here is the scenario :

PVE node has 2 PBS configured
PVE node always backup on PBS1
PBS2 pull all PBS1's datastore via Syncjobs

----

For any reason, if PBS1 is not available, backup to PBS2 fails
1601048219777.png

yes.. it's a pita with another ownership when syncing.. i gave up sorting it, perhaps it will change later on when/if it will be possible to copy from one datastore to another. I think you have to choose if you want to sync to the remote OR backup to it, or you have to use a second datastore on the remote and that's a bit absurd since you cannot use the same chunks then.
You could change the owner files on PBS2 and then backup, but the next sync to it will then fail, on the other hand the backups will be out of sync anyway.. you choose ;)
Anyhow, i gave up since i didn't want to spend to much dirty tricks or to much time on it for now. My belief is that it won't work due to the ownership of the backups differ between sync and backup, even if backing up uses another created user. I could be wrong, not much about this in docs as far as i know.

thanks fabian, i can admit i sometimes need to backup directly to a remote that has been synced, so i bulk edit switch between the sync user and backupuser. Perhaps it helps somebody to know until pbs has a clean way.
ie:
cd pbs/vm
sed -i 's/backup@pam/backupuser@pbs/g' */owner
or
sed -i 's/backupuser@pbs/backup@pam/g' */owner
Thanks. Solved my issue as well. At our end the sync jobs were tested but finally removed along with the actual backups.
PBS keeps the ownership information even if there is no more backup or job for it.
For anyone wondering where to find these files: these are located directly in the root directory of your datastore.
So in the above example: pbs can be seen as placeholder for the full path of the datastore.

Took me some time to figure that out. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!