Backups Fail after Moving LXC Container Root Disks

shells

Feb 26, 2020
Yesterday, I moved several of my containers' root disks to a different storage. They were subvolumes on my root ZFS pool, but now they're just stored as .raw images inside a directory on a different pool. I did this by going to each container --> Resources --> Root Disk --> "Move Volume" button.

Since then, all backup jobs fail for those containers if the container is running (though they do succeed if the container is off) . I'm using the "Snapshot" backup mode. Here is a sample of the error I get:

111containernameFAILED00:00:32command 'rsync --stats -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/13510/root///./ /var/tmp/vzdumptmp20941' failed: exit code 23

Please let me know what other information I can provide to help track this down.

Since then, all backup jobs fail for those containers if the container is running (though they do succeed if the container is off) . I'm using the "Snapshot" backup mode.

"Snapshot" backup mode, as the name implies, requires a storage capable of snapshots. "raw" image files are not - check our documentation for more info.

Also, a good way to troubleshoot backup issues is to run a backup for a single container manually (i.e. select the container in the GUI on the left, go to "Backup" and select "Backup now").

Thanks for this info! Switching to "suspend" caused similar errors, but switching to "stop" resulted in successful backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!