[SOLVED] Backupproblem with Snapshot, VM crashes sporadically after starting backup process

Re: Backupproblem with Snapshot, VM crashes sporadically after starting backup proces

@Dietmar: How long does some tests need to go in the Enterprise Repository?

I plan to upload this change to pve-no-subcription this week. Enterprise repo updates are planned one week later.

Re: Backupproblem with Snapshot, VM crashes sporadically after starting backup proces

Ok, fine Thank you.

Hi, we have install the new kernel and kemu with test repo. on backup a kvm we have this error: "communication failture"

communication-lost-on-backup.png

but backup process is running on background...

regards

Hi dietmar,

we have upgrade again with force command and after this we have no problems. we test a 2nd node with the fix now.

regards

network saturated?

Hi Dietmar

I also had the same problem, i believe that all people of small business (and maybe of medium business) tipically install PVE with 1 NIC 1 Gb/s for the LAN connection. And in the same NIC also have the PVE cluster communication, communication LAN of VMs, Host communication, and finally to certain hours, the live backup communication. With all these communications that is traveling by a same NIC, i also believe that is a problem of network saturation.

In my case, i had the same graph that have Mr. Informant in the GUI of PVE while a backup is in progress, and for several moments i lose the PVE Cluster communication while the Backup is in progress (i use broadcom that have QoS), then, i had that modify my configuration of destinations of Backups for solved this situation in mode very distributed.

My order:
1- Is possible put the task of PVE cluster communication as High priority in a next release for avoid this problem when a backup is in progress? (if this is the problem, and i think that the PVE Cluster Communication "NEVER" must be missed for software problems as in this case that is causing network saturation)
(Or maybe that "PVE" needs to have support of QoS?)
2- Or other suggestion into of this scenery?.

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

1) Use a bond (2 x 1 GB is sufficient pcie x 1 or better. pci is a nogo)
2) separate networks on different vlans

What is the cost:
A decent managed switch $ 150
2 x 1 GB pcie Intel nic $ 100

Total $ 250

This is my setup and I never see lost communication

1) Use a bond (2 x 1 GB is sufficient pcie x 1 or better. pci is a nogo)
2) separate networks on different vlans

What is the cost:
A decent managed switch $ 150
2 x 1 GB pcie Intel nic $ 100

Total $ 250

This is my setup and I never see lost communication

Hi mir, and many thanks for your answer.

Although I think equally that the PVE Cluster communication should not missed under any circumstances (must be solid as a rock), and I think you've found a good solution to that problem.

Please let me to do a questions:
1- Do you have configured the VLAN for the VMs or for the PVE Host and the VMs?
2- Can you explain how do it in PVE 3.2 by the GUI, and distinguishing the Host of his VMs?
(The wikis of PVE don't explain clearly this case for several VMs, and don't say nothing about of the PVE GUI - Unfortunately it is very brief)
3- Is possible to do VLANs without a manageable Switch? (i believe that this don't have sence)
4- If i have the VLANs configured correctly, the workstations that need communication with the PVE Host also must need the same VLAN configured in his respective port of Switch?
5- If i have a manageable Switch for the PVE servers, where both have VLANs configured, and other unmanaged Switch for the workstations, both Switches interconnected to each other, and i need that a workstation can have communication with the Servers and his VMs, for this case is better haven't a manageable Switch?

Sorry for ask so many questions, manageable Switchs isn't my forte, but i will have to configure two manageable Switchs for my servers, and i will configure trunk 802.3ad for the LAN and with stack of 20 Gb/s (due to trunk of 10 Gb/s 802.3ad) + Multicast, and now .... Ohh Nooo with VLANs !!!!. (for me are many configurations :()

Awaiting your answers, i say see you soon

Best regards
Cesar

1- Is possible put the task of PVE cluster communication as High priority

That already runs at high priority

2- Or other suggestion into of this scenery?.

use a speparate network for cluster communication.

use a speparate network for cluster communication.

Hi Dietmar and thanks for your answer, but you say that the separation must be phisical or logical(VLANs)? ... I guess that physical

Best regards
Cesar

Hi dietmar,

we have test it on 2 other nodes. it works fine. only the backup speed is a little bit slower than first. but it is ok. 10-50MB/s...

best regards

we have test it on 2 other nodes. it works fine. only the backup speed is a little bit slower than first.

How much slower (percentage)?

hi dietmar 7-13%.

before we have 30-82, after fix we have 7-54. but it´s ok if it run without error´s.

regards

I already uploaded a fix to the pvetest repository:

# wget ftp://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_1.7-6_amd64.deb
# dpkg -i pve-qemu-kvm_1.7-6_amd64.deb

Please test and report results.

Hi dietmar

Only for know, in the changelog of pve-qemu-kvm_1.7-6 i read that "backup: remove async queue (avoid segmentation fault)", and this means that the patch was reversed or was improved?.

Please, can you explain what does exactly your patch if you do not mind?

Best regards
Cesar

next week.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!