Backup VM failed. LXC works

fuzzyduck

Jul 14, 2021
Suddenly the backup op VMs stopped working. Containers work. Both the same destination. A CIFS to a external5TB disk.

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 201 --storage LibreElecBackup --compress zstd --node pve --remove 0 --mode snapshot
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 201 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-08-12 21:56:24
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: HomeAssistant
INFO: include disk 'sata0' 'VMdisks:vm-201-disk-1' 32G
INFO: include disk 'efidisk0' 'VMdisks:vm-201-disk-0' 1M
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed - unable to open '/mnt/pve/LibreElecBackup/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_08_12-21_56_24.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 205.
INFO: Failed at 2021-08-12 21:56:24
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

thanks in advance for the help!

is the error persistent? is the CIFS share accessible?

Yes. I've tried all 3 VMs I have.
Cifs is accessible on /mnt/pve/cifsname

I didn't do a reboot of Proxmox yet though.

well, it seems like something makes that file (or one of the parent dirs) inaccessible, as vzdump is not able to open/create it.

no luck. i did an dist-upgrade and a reboot.

Code:
()
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 201 --remove 0 --node pve --storage LibreElecBackup --mode snapshot --compress zstd
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 201 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-08-19 20:16:51
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: HomeAssistant
INFO: include disk 'sata0' 'VMdisks:vm-201-disk-1' 32G
INFO: include disk 'efidisk0' 'VMdisks:vm-201-disk-0' 1M
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed - unable to open '/mnt/pve/LibreElecBackup/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_08_19-20_16_51.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 205.
INFO: Failed at 2021-08-19 20:16:51
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

LXC containers still work, VMs dont

I just tried a backup to the by installer autogen'd local backup location and its running. So it must be something going on at the CIFS location. I already did a chown -R root:root to the dump dir on there.

EDIT: recreating the CIFS didnt work. So its a PI4 running LibreElec(kodi).

Last edited:
I still cant find the solution. in proxmox shell i can browse to the path and make/change/delete files as proxmox root user.

where to look :oops:

Am in the same boat now suddenly. Any solutions here?

UPDATE: I mounted CIFS folder on the server manually and added is a Directory storage. That way it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuzzyduck
Thx. So it might be some mismatch of SMB versions?

I've been backupping to Local storage for vms...

Is your backup also a Kodi/libreelec install?

Thx. So it might be some mismatch of SMB versions?

I've been backupping to Local storage for vms...

Is your backup also a Kodi/libreelec install?
Good question why it happened. In my case I just help a friend to manage his system, remotely ... Don't know exact details of hardware. Friend says he did nothing and backups stopped working. So neither Proxmox itself nor the Backup host were updated (he is just not capable of doing it himself, so I consider this as a fact). I kicked in in the stage exactly as u described, upgraded Proxmox to last 6.X version without any result, then mounted Backup as:

Code:
//share/share /backup cifs username=xxx,password=xxx,vers=1.0,rw,soft 0 0

and it worked...

P.S. Have no idea what Kodi/libreelec is :)

Good question why it happened. In my case I just help a friend to manage his system, remotely ... Don't know exact details of hardware. Friend says he did nothing and backups stopped working. So neither Proxmox itself nor the Backup host were updated (he is just not capable of doing it himself, so I consider this as a fact). I kicked in in the stage exactly as u described, upgraded Proxmox to last 6.X version without any result, then mounted Backup as:

Code:

and it worked...

Nice to know it might not be related to Libreelec. Its a trimmed down mediacenter OS of Kodi running on a raspberry pi in the bedroom, hooked up to the TV. I have a 5tb disk connected to it trough USB. Its worked before, now it doesnt....

ill go check out your solution thx!

I just remounted a cifs again to the same raspberry pi, but now i choose a different dir (just something accessible on the SDcard) and the VM started backing up! So unfortunately in my case its something related to that USB disk connected to the raspberry.

/mnt/pve/KodiSlaapkamer/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_11_05-10_14_07.tmp/qemu-server.conf

is the the long string and/or illegal characters?

/mnt/pve/KodiSlaapkamer/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_11_05-10_14_07.tmp/qemu-server.conf

is the the long string and/or illegal characters?
I don't think so as the first thing I tried was creating such a file manually and experienced no problems at all.

Reactions: fuzzyduck
It's super weird. Résumé.

1. I can mount an USB disk on a raspberry pi over cifs and read write to it from proxmox shell.
2. Lxc backups to that disk work.
3. VM backups don't work

Last edited:

Code:

and it worked...

Your manual CIFS mount worked. Its a quick fix though

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem.

I backup to a share on a Windows 10 VM, at first I have suspected some network connectivity issue, but turns out even when backing up to a share on a VM running locally the same happens.

Have not tried the manual mount workaround, but will check it out today in the evening.

I reinstalled to 7.1 and problem persists. Same error for backing up a VM.

ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed - unable to open '/mnt/pve/BackupVMenCT/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_12_04-13_57_42.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 210.
INFO: Failed at 2021-12-04 13:57:43

my target is accepting smb min 1 max 3. So its auto negotiate i guess?

Last edited:

Code:

and it worked...

it might be related to the formatted target. I mounted a second disk, this time EXT4 formatted and backing up VM's worked. The non working one is exFAT.

When i check the automounts on libreelec i get:

The non working one:
/dev/sdb1 on /var/media/Harro type exfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro)

The working one:
/dev/sda1 on /var/media/filebackup type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)

The exfat has a lot of extra arguments.

EDIT: I formatted the exFAT disk to ext4 and my issue is resolved. I think its not exfat but the way its mounted to my Raspberry pi.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!