Backup verification on zfs

Einar Stenberg

Mar 7, 2012
Gjøvik, Norway, Norway
Hi,

I'm seeing that verification jobs are taking up quite a bit of time on the backup server. (I am using the only verify new snapshots thing)

And then i realized, is checksumming and checkimg for bitrot not what zfs scrub jobs are doing?

Is it then even neccesary to run verify if the backing filesystem is on zfs?

verify does both a logical consistency check (are all chunks referenced in a backup snapshot available on disk?) and a bit-rot check (are the referenced chunks correct?). the latter part is also handled by ZFS, albeit on a different level.

verify does both a logical consistency check (are all chunks referenced in a backup snapshot available on disk?) and a bit-rot check (are the referenced chunks correct?). the latter part is also handled by ZFS, albeit on a different level.
Would it then make sense to have a verification mode for zfs, that is "light"?
Ie. It only checks the logical consistency?

we've thought about, but haven't implemented such a mechanism yet (it's better to only have a strong verify that does the full work, than users confusing a light verify for one that does the whole thing and then being surprised about bit-rot not being detected).

note that garbage collection also iterates over all snapshots and checks whether each chunk exists, although it doesn't display that information in a very nice fashion yet it also serves as a sort of consistency check without the "digest verification". so as long as you run GC regularly, you should get informed about any chunks that are still referenced which went missing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!