backup to and restore from a dedicated Sata drive.

ghstudio

Nov 7, 2020
I have proxmox 7.x installed on a nuc8 with 32gb and 1TB NVME. All is well, running windows 11, home assistant,.... I just put a 1tb sata drive in the NUC and would like to use it for backup. I'm a bit of a newbe at this. How do I activate that sata drive to do the backups? If I kill proxmox itself doing something stupid (yes, I've done this a few times), I know how to reinstall proxmox, but how to I connect the new proxmox installation so it finds the backups?

Hi,

if I understand you correctly you want to add the drive as a storage backend to PVE to be able to use for backups? So that once you've done that, you can simply add it back to a freshly installed PVE instance and recover the backups? You should be able to navigate to Datacenter > $nodename > Disks > Directory. There you can create a new directory and use that as a storage backend. You can then use that for bakups. Later you will just need to configure the same directory as a storage in you new PVE install to restore the backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!