[SOLVED] Backup Server Storage status unknown, connection lost

seteq

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I'm testing the Backup Server at the moment and somehow 2 of 3 PVE test nodes lost the connection - the datastore just seems to be offline (but can be pinged from the PVE nodes, so it's not a network issue).

The backups view of the backup datastore shows this error:
error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to [PBS-IP]:8007 (Connection refused) (500)

Does anybody know how to reconnect the backup datastore without rebooting the PVE node?

EDIT: I just tried to reboot the PBS-Server and now it's saying status unknown on all PVE-nodes (even on those which worked before)...

Thank you

Last edited:
can you connect to the PBS GUI from you admin work station? are you using the same IP for that? if yes, then it is a networking/firewall issue. if no, then connect via SSH and verify that the services are running / correct IP(s) are assigned / ...

There are separate networks for management and storage traffic which are not being routed.
On each of the physical nodes (PVE and PBS) I have two 1GbE interfaces with LACP bonding for management and two 10GbE interfaces for storage and backup traffic.

PBS:
pbs_interfaces.png

What I did is adding the 10GbE-IP-Address of the PBS server (10.250.0.111) as a cluster backup storage, this has been working great for several weeks now.
I found these connection problems after I had some unexpected power outages on some PVE nodes and the PBS node.
After a reboot of the PBS server, all of the PVE cluster nodes show this error message:

pbs_denied.png

I just tried a reboot of one of the PVE nodes, it's now working again for this particular node.
I don't think this is a network issue at all, it seems more like a PVE bug on reconnecting to the PBS after it has gone away for some reason.

Btw. I'm on pve-no-subscription with all updates installed on these nodes.

Thank you :)

PVE does not have a permanent connection to PBS - it calls the client for every pvestatd status update run (and of course also for actions like listing backups, creating/restoring from a backup, ...). this is some kind of network issue for sure - whether it's a config issue on the PVE side, or one the PBS side, or some issue with the switches/routers in-between is something you need to find out (e.g., by looking at tcpdump at each side and see whether you get any traffic at all).

Wow, I am very sorry, I am officially dumb af.
I assigned the same IP address twice in my storage network (one of the switches happened to have the same IP as the PBS server).

It's all good now :)

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!