Backup Server install boots into grub rescue mode

rtlarose

Jan 8, 2021
I've been trying to install the backup iso onto a server that has 4 - 6TB SATA Drives in hardware RAID10. It seems like the installation is successful until I reboot the server. It goes into grub rescue mode. I thought it may be an incompatability issue with the RAID controller so tried a different one and still the same. Tried booting Legacy and EFI but still no luck. I would appreciate any insight or help in this matter.

Which file system are you using?
Does grub show any error message at the top?

Sorry for the late response. I was able to figure it out. Interestingly enough I had to create a software RAID0 in ZFS format on top of the hardware RAID in order for the OS to boot. Any thoughts or reasons for that?

Glad that you solved it. As to the exact reason for the issue, I can't really say without seeing error messages. But I can say that it is generally advised not to use ZFS with hardware RAID. ZFS is most effective when it has direct access to and control of the disks. This being said, this should be more of a long-term speed/data integrity issue than a system issue.

Some deeper discussion on ZFS with hardware RAID is given here are given in the top answers of the below links:
https://serverfault.com/questions/189414/zfs-on-top-of-hardware-mirroring-or-just-mirror-in-zfs
https://serverfault.com/questions/545252/zfs-best-practices-with-hardware-raid

Thank you so much for your help. I have another question. Please forgive me as I am pretty new to Proxmox. I am going to deploy another server that has 10 - 2TB SSD's and 2 - 1TB m.2 SSD's attached via pcie adapter. What hardware RAID configuration do you recommend for the 10 SSD's (RAID10)? I would like to put the 2 - 1TB SSD's in software RAID but I know Proxmox does not support that. Any recommendation for these? I appreciate your input.

To the ten 2TB SSDs, it depends on your preferences, but for a backup server I'd personally be inclined to go with RAID 5 in order to maximize storage while still retaining a level of redundancy. For the two 1TB SSDs, since the drives are not attached to the raid controller, you could just set them up as a zfs mirror pool (ZFS RAID 1) using the installer, which is supported.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!