Backup Server configuration recommendation

rajcz

Jan 28, 2021
Hello,

can you recommend me what HW specification I need for backups for 150VMs (in Vmware). Cca about 10TB. Hourly backups for 7 days. Weekly backup for 4 weeks. Monthly for 3 months.

There are web pages and mysql DBs. On one server I think it is about 5GB changes daily.

Thank you

Pavel

Depends on the dedup factor and your data, so there is no easy calculator for this.

If you purchase new hardware, I would go for something like this:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/system/1U/1114/AS-1114S-WN10RT.cfm

Start with ZFS Raid10 for your datastore (4 x 15 TB SSDs, so you can have about 30 TB of usable capacity) and you have still a lot of space for upgrading your storage if you need it.

I had this offer for backup HW - based on "dedup DB is on SSD". Requested from Acronis - but we thinking about Proxmox, because we want migrate from VMWare too. Raid 6.

2* HPE AMD EPYC 7252 FIO Kit
8* HPE 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2933Y-R Smart Kit

8* HPE 12TB SAS 7.2K LFF SC He 512e DS HDD --- backups
4* HPE 480GB SATA RI LFF SCC PM883 SSD --- OS and Dedup DB.
HW Smart Array

Do you think that better will R10? And create it only from SSD? Is it possible set Dedup DB on another disk for performance? And raw data on 7.2K?

Holy Toledo Batman... 15TB SSD cost 3K.
Yes, prices are quite competitive nowadays.

(But I assume you do not mean that. If you need full performance, that's the way to go.)

I had this offer for backup HW - based on "dedup DB is on SSD". Requested from Acronis - but we thinking about Proxmox, because we want migrate from VMWare too. Raid 6.

2* HPE AMD EPYC 7252 FIO Kit
8* HPE 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2933Y-R Smart Kit

8* HPE 12TB SAS 7.2K LFF SC He 512e DS HDD --- backups
4* HPE 480GB SATA RI LFF SCC PM883 SSD --- OS and Dedup DB.
HW Smart Array

Do you think that better will R10? And create it only from SSD? Is it possible set Dedup DB on another disk for performance? And raw data on 7.2K?

I assume you talk about Proxmox Backup Server here. If yes, there is no "Debup DB" and/or raw data.

And yes, do not use traditional spinning disk, go for SSD only.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!