Backup PVE using PBS

I am waiting for this feature to be implemented before I dive into setting up a box for testing and hopefully rolling into production.

. This means also you can backup the Proxmox Virtual Environment too?
I can not see anything specific on the pdf documentation but I am really interested too.

The command proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ pve.pxar:/etc/pve --repository ... with some exclusions for /var/log etc. seems to work fine for a single host PVE.
yes, you can make a file-level backup on the host using the client

Reactions: Wichets and Tmanok
Is anyone aware of how PBS will implement a host-level backup? will it be similar to backing up a VM on PVE? I would love to implement PBS to have incremental backups but want to wait until the host backup is available before switching over to it. Right now I only backup my VMs and maintain configuration documentation should I need to reload PVE on a host.

Is anyone aware of how PBS will implement a host-level backup? will it be similar to backing up a VM on PVE? I would love to implement PBS to have incremental backups but want to wait until the host backup is available before switching over to it. Right now I only backup my VMs and maintain configuration documentation should I need to reload PVE on a host.
You already can do host level backups of your PVE instance to PBS! And they are incremental just like for VMs/CTs. It just is not integrated in the WebUI and you will have to understand on your own what should be included/excluded from the file level backup, handling of the encryption keys ecc. But all it really takes is to set up a cronjob with proxmox-backup-client. The two items regarding PVE and PMG mentioned in the roadmap will of course make this more convenient as backups will be tightly integrated into the respective solution.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.
Of course having it integrated into GUI will be the easiest but setting up a cronjob is really easy too.

You already can do host level backups of your PVE instance to PBS! And they are incremental just like for VMs/CTs. It just is not integrated in the WebUI and you will have to understand on your own what should be included/excluded from the file level backup, handling of the encryption keys ecc. But all it really takes is to set up a cronjob with proxmox-backup-client. The two items regarding PVE and PMG mentioned in the roadmap will of course make this more convenient as backups will be tightly integrated into the respective solution.

How does that work for restoring? can it restore the whole boot image?

I have a PVE host with the usual boot/kernal customisations for GUI passthrough, it was a PITA to setup and it would be great if I could just restore it to the bare metal machine.

The command proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ pve.pxar:/etc/pve --repository ... with some exclusions for /var/log etc. seems to work fine for a single host PVE.
Would you mind sharing with us the exact command being used? (especially in relation to exclusions)
That would be great. Thx

Hi, it's been a long time since the last post and I would like to ask if there is a "suggested" list of folder to backup. The main purpose should be being able to restore the PVE to the same state after for example a broken update o hardware failure.

Thanks.

I personally use the proxmox-backup-client (run from an debian 11 usb stick I boot into) to create a complete blocklevel backup of my system drives.
Because I don't do this that often (because of booting into the debian so that the system disks aren'T mounted why I crate a image of them) I also use the proxmox-backup-client directly run on my PVE to backup my complete /etc folder on a weekly basis to have a more recent but not that complete backup.

Last edited:
I personally use the proxmox-backup-client (run from an debian 11 usb stick I boot into) to create a complete blocklevel backup of my system drives.
Because I don't do this that often (because of booting into the debian so that the system disks aren'T mounted why I crate a image of them) I also use the proxmox-backup-client directly run on my PVE to backup my complete /etc folder on a weekly basis to have a more recent but not that complete backup.
Oh, that's quite sly! Thanks for sharing.

I use backup with proxmoxbackup-client and it works! So much so that it can be placed on an OpenMediaVault Fileserver (which uses Debian) and it has worked great! The only one is not being able to operate the data directly on the client machine. If I have to download a 100GB folder to my computer and then move it to OpenMediaVault, it will be very cumbersome and slow. =(

Last edited:
Eu uso backup com proxmox-backup-client e funciona perfeitamente! Tanto que até coloquei em um Fileserver OpenMediaVault (que usa Debian) e tem funcionado muito bem! A única desvantagem é não ter como restaurar os dados diretamente na máquina cliente. Se eu tiver que baixar uma pasta de 100 GB para o meu computador e depois movê-la para o OpenMediaVault, será muito trabalhoso e lento. =(
No hablo español con fluidez, sin embargo, parece que puede estar hablando de algo que no tiene nada que ver. Este hilo trata sobre la copia de seguridad de un hipervisor Proxmox Virtual Environment, no solo de un cliente normal. En otra nota, estoy confundido acerca de por qué necesita Open Media Vault para interactuar con su servidor de copia de seguridad Proxmox. ¿Por qué no ejecutar PBS en bare metal o como una máquina virtual en un hipervisor completo?

"I'm not fluent in spanish, however it sounds like you may be talking about something slightly unrelated. This thread is about backing up a Proxmox Virtual Environment hypervisor, not just an ordinary client. On another note, I'm confused about why you need Open Media Vault to interact with your Proxmox Backup Server? Why not run PBS on bare metal or as a virtual machine on a full hypervisor?" (Original)

No hablo español con fluidez, sin embargo, parece que puede estar hablando de algo que no tiene nada que ver. Este hilo trata sobre la copia de seguridad de un hipervisor Proxmox Virtual Environment, no solo de un cliente normal. En otra nota, estoy confundido acerca de por qué necesita Open Media Vault para interactuar con su servidor de copia de seguridad Proxmox. ¿Por qué no ejecutar PBS en bare metal o como una máquina virtual en un hipervisor completo?
Sorry, I ended up sending the Portuguese version of the text. kkkk As I'm not fluent in writing in English, in general I type in Portuguese on Google Translator and then I correct the most grotesque mistakes I find. hahahahaha

In my case I use PBS to backup my fileserver which is an OpenMediaVault, I use the same logic I would use for PVE host backup for disaster recovery.

Hi Tacioandradre,

Oh my goodness, I mistook Portuguese for Spanish! My sincerest apologies for such a miscommunication, I also misinterpreted what you had originally said so I appreciate the clarification. Now I understand the commentary more clearly, can you elaborate on how you backup your Open Media Vault system? It sounds like a bare metal host, so I am interested in understanding the parallel you are trying to draw for us with PVE backups.

Thanks!

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!