backup@pbs != root@pam

OK, thanks. That worked.

So for everyone else, within the backup directory, there are folder as /vm /ct or /host, depending on the backup type. Within these there are the IDs as /100 /101 etc. and there you find the file "owner" which contains a string of just the owner.

Changing this from root@pam to root@pam!pool did the trick.

glad that worked

@fabian Maybe an empty folder which just contains an owner file and no backup files could be presented in the PBS GUI anyhow. This way, the GUI functionality of changing the owner can be used an the error is more obvious to discover. Just an idea! :)
yes, this is a bit tricky with the way the GUI is currently implemented, but we will implement this one way or another.
Going for a host backup, how do I provide the API key then? (BTW, escaping helps! :cool: )

Code:
root@pve:~# proxmox-backup-client backup test.pxar:/tank/test/smb/ --repository 'root@pam!pool@10.1.X.X:pool'
Error: error building client for repository root@pam!pool@10.1.X.X:8007:pool - API token secret must be provided!
via the environment - see PBS Docs - Environment Variables

Reactions: j.io
yes, this is a bit tricky with the way the GUI is currently implemented, but we will implement this one way or another.
I can imagine, but given that PBS is v1.0, it does a lot of things very good already. Thanks for providing such a straightforward and professional software as PVE and PBS for free.

OK, thanks. From my day job I know that ENV variables can be quite appealing ... but they introduce a certain kind of magic since scripts or calls make use of them and you sometimes forget that they are needed or maybe they have an outdated value.

Maybe an overview of environment variables (bashrc or whatever) could complement both PVE and PBS. bashrc could be read and parsed. I personally try to avoid environment variables because they are sometimes not as transparent and you never know if you can change them and what it will break. Maybe a separate file (cf. the owner file) which is kind of a comprehensive variable store file for PVE / PBS would make more sense than using the Linux pendant. This way, there is no mixture between the system and the application architectures. :)

Anyhow - thank you @fabian for your time!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!