[SOLVED] backup owner check failed

Ovidiu

Renowned Member
Apr 27, 2014
I know there are countless threads here with the same issue but none of them seemed to be an exact fit for my problem so instead of hijacking another thread I opened my own.

I have a NAS where I have installed both: PVE and PBS on the same host. For convenience, I just used root@pam for every action where permissions were needed and all worked fine.

I now added 2FA to the root user on PVE and on PBS and since then the backups stopped.

So my first try was to add an API key to the root@pam user on PBS and give it permissions on the datastore. I tried with different permissions up to Admin. This looked good except I then had to re-add the PBS storage on the PVE side using my new API key instead of root@pam. It worked well, I seemed to have access to the datastore but when trying to back up I get this error on the PVE side:

Code:
qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: backup owner check failed

Now the similar threads I found all said that I need to change permissions of the backups on this datastore and yes, the owner of these backups is root@pam, and yet I can't change the owner to be the API key.

Code:
proxmox-backup-client change-owner vm/100 root@pam!nas2pbs --repository pbs-local
bash: !nas2pbs: event not found

vm/100 is my backup group
root@pam!nas2pbs is my API key
pbs-local is the ID of the PBS as added on PVE

I'm stuck, please advise what I'm doing wrong.

Let me add some screenshots:

1652957386523.png

1652957432042.png

1652957478568.png

you can also change the owner in the GUI (the little 'person' icon in the "Actions" column). for the CLI, you need to quote the authid properly: proxmox-backup-client change-owner vm/100 "root@pam!nas2pbs" --repository pbs-local, else the '!' will be interpreted by the shell.

Reactions: lxiosjao and Ovidiu
Oh man, that is embarrassing :-( I had a fleeting thought of quoting the API key, then I thought it can't be that simple.

Awesome that it is now possible to do this straight from the GUI.

Can you give me an additional hint please, what permissions do I need for this API key to be able to back up to PBS and restore from it? Nothing else needed as the pruning and other actions will be done from PBS side not PVE side.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!