Backup not possible -- why?

Dec 19, 2012
Hi.
We have a 2-node-Proxmox-Cluster. One of these nodes is down at the moment -- but the other one is still running. Today I tried to make a backup of all remaining VMs and it failed with:

Code:
()
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 101 --compress lzo --storage Raid10 --node proxmox2 --remove 0 --mode snapshot
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox2/qemu-server/101.conf.tmp.24685' - Permission denied
INFO: update VM 101: -lock backup
ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command 'qm set 101 --lock backup' failed: exit code 2
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

What's the problem with the permissions there?

Code:
pvemanager 4.2-16 - kernel 4.4.10-1-pve

Yes, If I recall correctly, to have /etc/pve in read-only-mode is some security feature that should prevent a split brain if half the cluster is down, yet it seems very odd that this should yield to backup failure. I guess this is a bug, but maybe some Proxmox developer can shed some light on this.

setting a lock on a VM is a modification that is not possible while your cluster is not quorate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!