Hello. When I try to backup in a virtual machine, I get the error:
ERROR: backup_complete_cb -5
INFO: aborting backup job
INFO: stopping kvm after backup task
ERROR: Backup of VM 717 failed - backup_complete_cb -5
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors
Proxmox version 3.1-3/dc0e9b0e.
Backup tried in different modes - snapshot, suspend, stop.
Compression - LZO
On other machines, the backup runs fine. I did not find information on this error on the Internet

So I need to upgrade without backups, at the risk of losing all the data? Amazing...
Thanks for the help.
What you could do is perform a backup of the data from within the VM by some other means... Better than risking to loose your data

What you could do is perform a backup of the data from within the VM by some other means... Better than risking to loose your data
What means do you offer to make a copy of the whole virtual machine, so that later it can be restored to Proxmox? I just do not know such tools. Well, if you do not offer just copy all the files.

It is hard to tell without knowing your setup, ecc...
It might be enough to simply make a copy of the VMs disks and configurations, but there are NO GUARANTEES:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_3.x_to_4.0#Bypassing_Backup_and_Restore
As for every major system upgrade you should first test this in a test environment.
NO GUARANTEES
this is not an option. I can not lose this virtual machine, it will be a disaster.
About the configuration - there is a mail server. The operating system is Debian 8.2, fetchmail is installed and copies of all letters are stored. VM image located on a separate hard drive

Last edited:
NO GUARANTEES
this is not an option.

You (or the admin of this host) missed all needed updates for several years, so what answer do you expect? Learn how to do all this or hire an experienced sysadmin to do the work for you.

You (or the admin of this host) missed all needed updates for several years, so what answer do you expect? Learn how to do all this or hire an experienced sysadmin to do the work for you.
Well, then just say "I don't want to help you," or "I don't know how to do it."
I got this server already in this state. And I work with what I have. No need to blame me for what you do not know. Thanks for the pointless advice.
Close the topic if you can not, or do not want to help.

Well, then just say "I don't want to help you," or "I don't know how to do it."

Hey, you got all hints to get your upgrade working, so stop telling that you got no help here.

Hey, you got all hints to get your upgrade working, so stop telling that you got no help here.
What kind? Make an upgrade without backup, and lose all the data? The instructions say:
  • if the (virtual) disk(s) for the VM(s) is (are) located at a storage which is not touched by the installation process (e.g. NFS at an external server)
And my disk with the image is not on the external server.
You offer me a vicious circle - according to the instructions you can not upgrade without backup (NEVER start the upgrade process without a valid backup ), but to make a backup - I have to upgrade.
You also propose to make a backup using some “other” means, but don’t even tell if such tools exist.

You got all the links for the upgrade docs, see post no 2 in this thread.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/backup-job-finished-with-errors.55682/#post-256362

I really dislike your posting style, please change it. otherwise your questions will not get much love from us.
I read these documents. They suggest either making a backup before upgrading, or directly saying that you can not make a backup if the image is on external media. As I said, the image is NOT on external media.
The style of communication you asked, starting to accuse me of what I did not do.
Simply and briefly - you suggest that I start the update process, without backup, and lose all my data. I understood correctly?

Can you explain to me how I can transfer ONE machine to another server?

find the VM/CT config and the virtual disk image and copy both to another server by using standard tools like scp to the other server.

find the VM/CT config and the virtual disk image and copy both to another server by using standard tools like scp to the other server.
Differences in the server version will not interfere? Available server versions 4.0 and 5.2-1

Differences in the server version will not interfere?

Test it.

As 3.x is out of support since many year, this means its out of support and no one is using or support this anymore, so you have to check by yourself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!