backup job failed with err -11 on 2 of 6 VM's

From your backup log it seems you are already using backup mode snapshot, but the LVM mount point does not support it. IIRC it's only implemented for LVM thin, but not LVM in Proxmox VE.

i guess i can't convert lvm to lvm thin?

//Edit
Ok apparently I need to reformat the hard drive for this, this will be difficult since I don't have enough memory to move all the vms running on it

//Edit 2
@Fabian_E is it different with the VM's? Because there I do not have the problem with the memory

Last edited:
//Edit 2
@Fabian_E is it different with the VM's? Because there I do not have the problem with the memory
Yes, for VMs, QEMU's block layer is used, which allows snapshot-like behavior regardless of underlying storage, i.e. the backup will read the disk as it was at the time the backup started even if there are changes in the meantime.

is there any way to modify this default temp path?
On each node, there is /etc/vzdump.conf to overwrite the defaults.

Reactions: Tealk
Since I can simply rent a storage box from Hetzner and mount it and use this box as temp, this should work again?
What size have these temp files then? Are they already compressed?
AFAICT it will be uncompressed and the size will be the full usage within the container.

do i need to reload anything when changing vzdump.conf?
I have now set to the mounted storage box am curious about the result
No, it should be read on every invocation of vzdump.

I still have a question @Fabian_E, what is the best way to handle the vzdump?

Keeping large amounts of storage free for backup costs a lot of money, especially because it takes hours without SSD.

You can either:
  1. Switch to an underlying storage that supports snapshots (see here for the list) and use snapshot mode.
  2. Use stop mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!