Backup Ideas

kdawg1512

Oct 31, 2020
I have made myself a Proxmox server and am looking for a good way to back it up incase of a semi/full rebuild is required and have had a few thoughts of doing so but wouldn't mind some opinions about it.

PVE Machine specs:
AMD 3900x
Auras Elite x570
128 GB Ram
AMD RX 560 (display only)
LSI 9207-08-Connected to 6x 4Tb Iron Wolf 5900rpm (Zpool RaidZ2) & 2x Iron Wolf 256Gb SSD (Zpool Cache)
2x 128 ADATA SU800 (Boot Drive Mirror, Truenas VM)
1x (onbord) NVME 128Gb (Zpool L2arc)
1x SATA 1Tb WD Red SSD (VM SSD)
1x (Asus 4x NVME PCIE x16) NVME 128Gb (nothing yet, will probably replace for some extra fast storage in future, or to spit the x16 slots for more x4 slots for extra pcie connectivity not sure how that will work though)

I am running Truenas in a VM connected to the LSI controller HDD/SSD's and my onboard NVME for my Zpool. and taking 48Gb of Ram

This is a Home server and my first Proxmox server. I have been doing research and playing with my setup for a month and a half without saving anything I was worried about losing yet, but I am getting to that point where I am comfortable with my build and would like to take another step to make it a more complete build

First I am limited on space I don't have a full server rack of space its relatively small and personally I am trying to stay compact.

My first thought is to run a rpi (or equitant) with some os that will allow for nfs/samba/iscsi transfer that I can use for another machine that backs up the PVE and Zpool.
cons for this is that I am most likely going to have to use USB ports for my Mirror Raid HDD/SSD's limiting my read/write speeds

Another thought is to do the same with an ITX/mATX MB and low power dual or quad core cpu, this way would at least allow for Proxmox Backup Server to be installed without complications and dependencies missing, but requires to be bigger then I would like for the limited space I have.

I could also get a NAS like Synology for a similar experience but wasn't sure and I have most of the components for the other 2 options I listed for a low cost solution

The only other way I can think of is that I have some extra SATA ports open on my main board and I can populate them with suitable HDD/SSD's for backup only. I only like this option for backing up VM's because its nice to have onboard backup for faster restores but doesn't seem like a plausible solution for backing up the PVE as a whole.

I appreciate any advice on this

Last edited:
yes I have looked into it and would be a route that I would pursue first if I wasn't trying to keep to a small form factor. I did find a post with someone claiming to get it on there Rpi with the 64bit beta version of Rpi OS but I couldn't get it to function on mine

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!