backup fails

dfedorov

Mar 2, 2017
Hi! Not performed backup for the virtual machine. Memory is enough. What could be the problem?

INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: update VM 100: -lock backup
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: VM Name: PrW2k8R2
INFO: include disk 'virtio0' 'local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1' 570G
INFO: stopping vm
INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pvebk/dump/vzdump-qemu-100-2017_03_03-03_00_02.vma'
INFO: starting kvm to execute backup task
kvm: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory
INFO: restarting vm
INFO: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=8b3ab887-7562-4dd2-aae9-570157a8144c' -name PrW2k8R2 -smp '10,sockets=1,cores=10,maxcpus=10' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vga std -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,enforce' -m 40000 -k en-us -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:cbe0e8aaba' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/dev/zvol/rpool/data/vm-100-disk-1,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,cache=writeback,format=raw,aio=threads,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=86:EF:03:10:34:13,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: exit code 1
INFO: kvm: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory
command 'qm start 100 --skiplock' failed: exit code 255
ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=8b3ab887-7562-4dd2-aae9-570157a8144c' -name PrW2k8R2 -smp '10,sockets=1,cores=10,maxcpus=10' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vga std -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,enforce' -m 40000 -k en-us -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:cbe0e8aaba' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/dev/zvol/rpool/data/vm-100-disk-1,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,cache=writeback,format=raw,aio=threads,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=86:EF:03:10:34:13,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard' -S' failed: exit code 1
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 48190 24681 23508 44 2716 104
-/+ buffers/cache: 21861 26329
Swap: 8191 29 8162

you only have 26329+8162 memory left in total (that is, after dropping caches and including all swap), but your VM wants 40000.

no, for VMs we backup using qemu's I/O layer, so the VM needs to either be running, or if it isn't (or you are using "stop" mode), vzdump will start the VM in a "non-running" mode to allow this access.

no, for VMs we backup using qemu's I/O layer, so the VM needs to either be running, or if it isn't (or you are using "stop" mode), vzdump will start the VM in a "non-running" mode to allow this access.
those. to backup VMs with 40GB of RAM I need 80GB on the host system? even if I use the stop mode?

those. to backup VMs with 40GB of RAM I need 80GB on the host system? even if I use the stop mode?

backing up a VM has the same requirements as starting it: all the disks and devices need to be available, and you need enough RAM. you don't need twice as much RAM - I don't know why you think that?

backing up a VM has the same requirements as starting it: all the disks and devices need to be available, and you need enough RAM. you don't need twice as much RAM - I don't know why you think that?
I have 48Gb RAM on the server. I have allocated 40GB for VM. I use "stop" mode for backup. and I get an error: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory

yes but "only" 26 GB free

you need as much free memory as the vm needs

We did not understand each other. I performed "free -m" when the VM was running. I have only one virtual machine on the server. "free -m" when a single virtual machine is stopped:
Code:
.             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         48190       4663      43527         45          0         98
-/+ buffers/cache:       4564      43625
Swap:         8191         24       8167

ok, but at the time of the backup you had definitely not enough free memory (it also could not start it afterwards, according to the log)
so i would try again to (manually) backup under the same conditions and look for an application which uses the ram

ok, but at the time of the backup you had definitely not enough free memory (it also could not start it afterwards, according to the log)
so i would try again to (manually) backup under the same conditions and look for an application which uses the ram
ok, i will try.

Hi, I tried to start a backup manually. Please look at the screenshots. Processes sorted by memory usage.

Attachments

• after.png
    after.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 12
  • before.png
    before.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 10
i see a few things here:

on the "after" screenshot, you can see you have 9905/48190 MB allocated Memory -> you have less than the needed 40GB free

also i can see that you use zfs, which by default, can allocate up to 50% of your memory, and it can happen, that it does not release the memory fast enough needed for kvm.
you can limit the memory usage of zfs see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_limit_zfs_memory_usage

i would recommend limiting your zfs usage and installing more memory or reducing the amount of memory for the vm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!