backup fails with file too large and VM unreachable

Feb 12, 2021
We run proxmox 6.3-3. A scheduled backup fails for a single VM with:

NFO: 59% (2.4 TiB of 4.1 TiB) in 5h 37m 20s, read: 124.1 MiB/s, write: 122.1 MiB/s
zstd: error 25 : Write error : File too large (cannot write compressed block)
ERROR: VM 102 qmp command 'query-backup' failed - got timeout
INFO: aborting backup job
ERROR: VM 102 qmp command 'backup-cancel' failed - unable to connect to VM 102 qmp socket - timeout after 5983 retries
ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - VM 102 qmp command 'query-backup' failed - got timeout
INFO: Failed at 2021-02-11 14:48:43
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

The backup has ample space. Unfortunately not only the backup failed, but the VM was left unresponsive, i.e. the console could not be opened after the failed backup.

Hi,
what kind of backup storage are you using? Is there a maximum file size for the underlying file system? Did the other backups fail for the same reason, i.e. zstd: error 25 : Write error : File too large (cannot write compressed block)?

Could you share the output of findmnt? How big is the largest backup that still worked?

I am curious what you are able to see from the output of findmnt. The largest backup that worked was about 89GB.
After an upgrade on friday, which involved a new zstd package I ran the backup again over the weekend. This time with a different error message which I unfortunately cannot share because I needed to reboot the host. After the failed backup I could neither contact the failed VM by any means nor was I able to stop or reboot it. The host complained about unability to obtain a lock. Only after rebooting the host system I regained access to the VM.

Attachments

• emptyfile.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 5
An additional observation: The guest VM is configured to run from a LVM partition, which I thought will not support snapshots. Nevertheless the backup can be configured for snapshot mode. How would this work? Indeed the VM is only stopped for a short time and is running again when the backup proceeds. If I change the backup mode to stop, the VM also is only stopped for a short time and is running again while backup is still active.

I am curious what you are able to see from the output of findmnt.
The problem ;)
Code:
├─/var/local/backup                   /dev/mapper/Backup-backup ext3       rw,relatime
The ext3 filesystem does not support files that big.

The largest backup that worked was about 89GB.
After an upgrade on friday, which involved a new zstd package I ran the backup again over the weekend. This time with a different error message which I unfortunately cannot share because I needed to reboot the host. After the failed backup I could neither contact the failed VM by any means nor was I able to stop or reboot it. The host complained about unability to obtain a lock. Only after rebooting the host system I regained access to the VM.
There should still be a task log for the recently failed backup job (in the bottom panel in the GUI, double click on the task entry to see the log).

An additional observation: The guest VM is configured to run from a LVM partition, which I thought will not support snapshots. Nevertheless the backup can be configured for snapshot mode. How would this work? Indeed the VM is only stopped for a short time and is running again when the backup proceeds. If I change the backup mode to stop, the VM also is only stopped for a short time and is running again while backup is still active.
For VM backups, snapshot mode does not refer to storage-level snapshot, but to QEMU-level snapshot. This is possible, because QEMU controls the I/O-layer. The same is true for the stop mode. See here for more information.

Oh, proxmox automatically recreated the dump and images folders :)
Hopefully not before it was mounted again. You can use pvesm set <storageID> --is_mountpoint 1 to make PVE aware that it's a mountpoint and then it will only create directories when it really is mounted.

Ok, then it should be fine. You can still add the is_mountpoint option if you want. Then PVE will detect that the storage is not there if it's not mounted for whatever reason.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!