[SOLVED] backup Failed to create message: Input/output error

augusto baldi

Jun 23, 2017
Rome - Italy
www.dag-evolution.it
Hello to all.

I'm new to the forum and sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

I need help...........

I have several proxmox installations from 1.9 to 4.4 and I am fully satisfied with everything.

However on a 2-node server (4.1.1) I have backup issues (only one system that has problems).

Making a backup of 4/5 VM on nfs storage, generates an error:
INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pve/NAS10/dump/vzdump-qemu-202-2017_06_23-02_55_04.vma.gz'
INFO: starting kvm to execute backup task
Failed to create message: Input/output error
INFO: restarting vm

etc.etc.etc.

and one of the VMs does not make a backup. The problem is random .......... not always .............. not always the same VM ............... Not always the same node.

What to do?

Thank you all for your attention and excuse my english (google translator :) :))

Augusto.

Hmm, maybe an problem with the NFS-Storage? What HW do you use for NFS? What is wiht i/o w/a on the NFS-Storage and the Nodes during the backupprocess?

What says "pveperf" on each node?

Hello,
Thank you for the reply.
The 2 NFS servers do not give any kind of problem, however, are HP machines dual proc quad with 16GB ram and 16x146 sas 15k and Centos7.
On one of the nodes there are 5 VM virtual disks, and the problem also occurs by backup from one node to another (by exporting a directory from each node)
The result of the command is as follows:
root@nodo8: ~ # pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 115209.72
REGEX / SECOND: 1100791
HD SIZE: 26.99 GB (/ dev / dm-0)
BUFFERED READS: 176.77 MB / sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.07 ms
FSYNCS / SECOND: 137.96
DNS EXT: 44.78 ms
DNS INT: 68.04 ms (xxxxxxx.net)
----------------------
root@nodo9:~# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 115205.52
REGEX/SECOND: 1109063
HD SIZE: 26.99 GB (/dev/dm-0)
BUFFERED READS: 123.90 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.10 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 152.41
DNS EXT: 43.61 ms
DNS INT: 74.25 ms (xxxxxxxxxxx.net)

What to say?
Thank you,
Augusto.

Ok, the NFS Servers sounds good and powerfull. What Raid to you have on these nfs-servers? Hopley no Raid5 without Cache.
The PVE Nodes have very poor performance. The Fsync should have 3000+. So what Raid do you have there, what disks and Hardware.

Thank you as always for the answer.
The NAS has raid5 with cache and 16x146 sas 15k.
Changing the vzdump.conf file with a ionice=2 and bwlimit=50000 in the last two days the problem seems to be resolved. I will keep in touch.

Thank you, Augusto.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!