Backup crashes VM - 'guest-fsfreeze-freeze' failed - got timeout

Similar issue here. I had the backups running fine for days, never had an issue. I need more information in Proxmox (IP address) so I decided to install and enable qemu-guest-agent. Since then I cannot backup the VM anymore, it fails every time.

Proxmox backup log

Code:
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/114/2022-11-04T19:42:15Z'
INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command
INFO: enabling encryption

---- IT HANGS HERE FOR A 1-2 MINS ---

INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command
ERROR: VM 114 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: http request timed out
INFO: aborting backup job
INFO: resuming VM again
ERROR: Backup of VM 114 failed - VM 114 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: http request timed out
INFO: Failed at 2022-11-04 15:44:15

In the VM I get those 2 lines then nothing after

Code:
Nov  4 15:42:15 proxmoxbs qemu-ga: info: guest-ping called
Nov  4 15:42:15 proxmoxbs qemu-ga: info: guest-fsfreeze called

Has anybody found a solution ?

It works well without qemu-ga
Code:
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/114/2022-11-04T19:56:25Z'
INFO: enabling encryption
INFO: started backup task 'e8dd49fc-48c0-4202-a92f-7027585d2ac0'
INFO: resuming VM again
INFO: scsi0: dirty-bitmap status: created new
INFO:  14% (4.7 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 3s, read: 1.6 GiB/s, write: 30.7 MiB/s
INFO:  22% (7.1 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 6s, read: 812.0 MiB/s, write: 42.7 MiB/s
INFO:  31% (10.0 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 9s, read: 977.3 MiB/s, write: 40.0 MiB/s
INFO:  38% (12.3 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 12s, read: 800.0 MiB/s, write: 53.3 MiB/s
INFO:  40% (13.1 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 15s, read: 262.7 MiB/s, write: 34.7 MiB/s
INFO:  55% (17.8 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 18s, read: 1.6 GiB/s, write: 56.0 MiB/s
INFO:  62% (20.1 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 21s, read: 804.0 MiB/s, write: 90.7 MiB/s
INFO:  76% (24.5 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 24s, read: 1.5 GiB/s, write: 33.3 MiB/s
INFO:  88% (28.2 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 27s, read: 1.2 GiB/s, write: 24.0 MiB/s
INFO: 100% (32.0 GiB of 32.0 GiB) in 29s, read: 1.9 GiB/s, write: 0 B/s
INFO: backup is sparse: 28.14 GiB (87%) total zero data
INFO: backup was done incrementally, reused 30.81 GiB (96%)
INFO: transferred 32.00 GiB in 29 seconds (1.1 GiB/s)
INFO: adding notes to backup
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 114 (00:00:30)
INFO: Backup finished at 2022-11-04 15:56:55
INFO: Backup job finished successfully

Last edited:
I had this very same issue and checked out the earlier linked gitlab issue.

One of the last comments (currently) is about the combination of Debian 11 + MariaDB + /tmp folder permissions.

Since I was running MariaDB (for Zabbix Server), I did the following:
  • Stop most important services (systemctl stop <service>), in my case zabbix-server and mariadb
  • Remove /tmp folder (rm -rf /tmp)
  • Power off virtual machine (it really needs to get into the proxmox stopped state)
  • Enable qemu guest agent in proxmox for this VM again (as I disabled this earlier)
  • Power on machine (Reboot inside the vm is not sufficient)
  • tmp folder recreated automatically
After this, I started a backup from the proxmox dashboard: VM --> Backup --> Backup now and everything worked smooth again.

Since it looks like this issue is related to Debian 11 and most likely MariaDB (this can't be a coincidence), I suspect maybe something is happening during the package install of mariadb with the /tmp permissions which in turn renders a serious issue for the qemu-ga.

Before diving into this, I would like to know if any of the earlier responders to this thread are also running mariadb.

Reactions: linushstge
Had the same issue on customer setup today. Turned out to be because of loop mounted FS. cPanel likes to loop mount /tmp (calls it secure tmp) and when fsfreeze is issued, it seems like qemu-ga freezes the underlying fs before the loop mounted one, so the later can't flush to disk and it goes nuts. In my case I just migrated to a regular /tmp volume and it's all good now.

I have got a lot of nfsd on ext4 kernel warnings and error traces while qemu-ga[26050]: info: guest-fsfreeze called.
As my solution a i have upgraded qemu-guest-agent on debian 11 bullseye qemu-guest-agent:amd64 from 1:5.2+dfsg-11+deb11u2 to 1:7.2+dfsg-1~bpo11+1. no reboot needed only restart solved it.

@elemhsb I have updated the qemu guest agent to version 7.2 and so far the manual Backup has worked, I will wait for tomorrow's backup.
Update: new day, new freeze.... :(

Last edited:
I had this very same issue and checked out the earlier linked gitlab issue.

One of the last comments (currently) is about the combination of Debian 11 + MariaDB + /tmp folder permissions.

Since I was running MariaDB (for Zabbix Server), I did the following:
  • Stop most important services (systemctl stop <service>), in my case zabbix-server and mariadb
  • Remove /tmp folder (rm -rf /tmp)
  • Power off virtual machine (it really needs to get into the proxmox stopped state)
  • Enable qemu guest agent in proxmox for this VM again (as I disabled this earlier)
  • Power on machine (Reboot inside the vm is not sufficient)
  • tmp folder recreated automatically
After this, I started a backup from the proxmox dashboard: VM --> Backup --> Backup now and everything worked smooth again.

Since it looks like this issue is related to Debian 11 and most likely MariaDB (this can't be a coincidence), I suspect maybe something is happening during the package install of mariadb with the /tmp permissions which in turn renders a serious issue for the qemu-ga.

Before diving into this, I would like to know if any of the earlier responders to this thread are also running mariadb.

@EnigmA-X --

I've been having the same problems with a Zabbix VM. However, mine is running PostgreSQL and not MariaDB. I did do the /tmp folder removal as you suggested and then ran manual backup -- which worked fine (thanks for the info).

Will advise if I have issues again during automated backup run later this week.

EDIT Feb 20:
No issues this week with backup for Zabbix VM.

Last edited:
Reactions: linushstge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!