Backing up to USB HDD

TSC_OG

Feb 13, 2018
Hello everyone,

I work for a non-profit organization that largely relies on donations to successfully get anything done and as such sometimes the IT Department gets overshadowed.

We have some remote workers that needed to remote in and we simply did not want to have desktops sitting around so I went ahead and decided to find a solution that would cost the least amount of money and that is how I found Proxmox.

We have some old servers (Dell 2950) that simply don't support Windows Hyper-V installation, otherwise I would have just used Windows Server 2016 and bought a few CALs and be done with it.

Now that I've explained the setup I have and that I am basically a big newbie to Linux, I'd love for some people to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to correctly do it.

I have a 3 TB external HDD that I would like to use for backups, I can see it on the "Disks" portion of the GUI but I've tried following every single guide that I managed to get my hands on and I feel like I make the wrong turn somewhere down the line.

How can I set up my Proxmox server to back up to the external HDD once a week?

I am relatively new to Linux so I am a learning something new every day with this system, reading through the Wiki has really helped but I feel like I'm hitting a wall here.

I've followed all these guides:

*I tried posting the links but since I'm a newbie it won't let me, in order to avoid spam*

Hi,

you have to do it on the command line.
You can do this over ssh or use the console from the GUI.
But I would suggest you get familiar with SSH.
On Windows there are some ssh clients
Here are two of them mobaxterm and putty.

Here is a HowTo for using a Disk on linux.
https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...partition-and-format-storage-devices-in-linux

After you have mount the disk you must add them as a "dir" storage in the GUI.
This can be done in the Datacenter under Storage -> ADD.

Reactions: TSC_OG
Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will work on SSH skills and read the document you sent.

Fireon,

Thank you for your suggestion but I remember reading through some of the older threads and they didn't recommend USBmount since it wasn't being maintained any longer by the dev.

Have you encountered any issues with it?

I'm getting this error when following the steps in your documentation

20XgguD.png

20XgguD

In completly new installed pve5 this packages is not included. On normal debian and ubuntu already. On upgraded version from 4 to 5 the packages exists.
Code:
apt install dirmngr -y
Here is the Bugreport: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1672

Last edited:
The error message in the screenshot leads me to believe that the 2nd command (the 'echo' command) was not issued separately but appended to the apt-key command...

I've followed the above steps (apt install dirmngr -y)

I tried adding the repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list and I'm still having issues.

This what it looks like when I first copy it from the dev's website

nNSaLba.jpg

This is what it looks like when I modify what I copy/paste

nlwZRjj.jpg

This is the error I get:

zPuVnHx.jpg

This is only a command to import the key. Not to enter in the sources.list. So enter command on cmd:
Code:
apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 2FAB19E7CCB7F415

I followed your instructions and I added echo "deb http://styrion.at/apt/ ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/styrion.list to my source list and I still get the error

E: Malformed entry 7 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Suite)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Okay nevermind, instead of adding it to the source.list I just ran both commands independently from each other and it looks like it downloaded what we've been trying.

FZwvdKr.jpg

Fireon,

By installing this, if I plug in a USB HDD to my Proxmox box, it will automatically mount and I can use it as a backup device?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!