Backing up "Thirdparty" stuff with PBS

dura-zell

Jan 24, 2024
Hi

I'm searching for hints of how to Backup anything "not PVE" related utilizing PBS.
I'm mostly concernded about some "bare metal" Windows servers on a remote location (a second location running Hyper-V is also in play but not "critcal" at the moment).
As I understand there is no "production ready" Agent available for this, so currently, as I see it, my best option would be to use PBS for all PVE related stuff and "something else" for the remote location.

What are you guys using for this or similar requirements?

Greetings,

Thanks Fabian for the clarification.
So for Bare-Metal Windows the best Option currently is "something else". No big issue but needed to account for.
Grretings
Dura

yes. unless you only care about the file names and contents, and not the windows metadata or additional windows-related features, in that case something like a CIFS export and backing up via that (from a linux host) might be an option.

No, not really. It should be closest to the kind of backup would get when doing a complete VM backup. The goal would be to reimage the machine and then continue operation.

Greetings,

yeah, that would currently only be possible (on the block level) by either booting a live-CD with proxmox-backup-client and backing up the full disk, or somehow creating a storage snapshot and making that available to a linux system as block device to create the backup..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!