cpu-models.conf:

Code:
cpu-model: avx
  flags +avx;+avx2
  phys-bits host
  hidden 0
  hv-vendor-id proxmox
  reported-model kvm64

Adding the avx2 option causes a kernel panic.
Both Ubuntu 20.04 & 22.04 are the same.
Is there a bug in qemu?

1663237853238.png

cpu-models.conf:

Code:
  flags +avx;+avx2
  phys-bits host
  hidden 0
  hv-vendor-id proxmox
  reported-model kvm64

Adding the avx2 option causes a kernel panic.
Both Ubuntu 20.04 & 22.04 are the same.
Is there a bug in qemu?

View attachment 41139
What action did you take to cause the panic? Just setting the CPU type and booting? Or doing a Mongo-based workload using AVX? I'm running the latest Debian 11 with an AVX CPU and it seems to be stable so far, but I haven't spun up Mongo 5 yet...

Code:
    flags +avx;+avx2
    phys-bits host
    hidden 0
    hv-vendor-id proxmox
    reported-model kvm64

Code:
root@docker05:~# uname -a
Linux docker05 5.10.0-19-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.149-2 (2022-10-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited:
My guess would be that kvm64 does not expose any SSE instructions but software/drivers assume various levels of SSE support when they see support for AVX(2). Maybe add more flags or choose a CPU model that has AVX2 support instead of kvm64.

I just configure CPU as added avx cpu and booted.
The OS was Ubuntu 20.04/22.04.
It has nothing to do with MongoDB as it causes a kernel panic during the boot process.

It works when the cpu is set as the host. As leesteken said, might be able to solve it with an extra flag. I just don't know what those extra flags are.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!