Avoid backing only a specific partition/disk inside a VM

F

froek

I have 2 partitions, one is the standard root LVM, and the second I attached to the VM from the host, by using "qm set 102 -ide1 /dev/sdb1" as a raw.

I do want to backup the standard root, but not the second IDE.

As you can see below there are some problems:
  1. snapshot mode won't work - this is because /dev/sdb1 on the second disk is a GPT
  2. the system tries to back up my second disk and runs out of space

I don't care about #1 so much, because if I can remove /dev/sdb1 from the backup set, I'm sure it will go back to snapshotting like it used to before I attached the second disk. The reason #2 fails is quite simply I have no space. Which is why I do NOT want the second disc backed up..

So my question is, is there a way to selectively assign partitions inside a vm for backing up? If not, this sort of defeats the purpose of allowing a raw attachment to a VM via the host.

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 102 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage Data1 --node black
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: suspend vm
INFO: creating archive '/data1/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_09_02-08_55_14.tar.lzo'
INFO: adding '/data1/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_09_02-08_55_14.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/dev/vgpool/vm-102-disk-1' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.raw')
INFO: adding '/dev/sdb1' to archive ('vm-disk-ide1.raw')
INFO: lzop: No space left on device: <stdout>

you can disable backups ('no backups') for individual disk, just see the "hardware" tab on the gui.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!