[SOLVED] attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

zegorax

Feb 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

Today I just got a new HPE DL180 8-bays with SmartArray. I configured the SmartArray to make a RAID-5 with 8 disk of 1TB each.

I installed Proxmox on it and tried to create a new VM. I chose Ubuntu Server and its installation went fine.

However, when it comes to reboot the VM, it doesn't. Grub simply says :

Code:
error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.

I tried to follow these instructions : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/use-local-lvm-as-directory.32924/ but it wasn't successful. Even with a qcow2 image disk, it still doesn't boot.

I don't really know what to do now to make it work.

Could you please help me a little bit?

Thanks !

Luca

Update :

After installing the same way, but using a 200Gb disk at first, and then resize the disk to 6200Gb, it works fine.

I don't really know what happened.

Update :

After installing the same way, but using a 200Gb disk at first, and then resize the disk to 6200Gb, it works fine.

I don't really know what happened.

I just did this and it worked. I was trying to install an openmediavault VM on a 5200G ZFS pool. Started out at 80G, booted up for the first time, then shut down, resized to 5200G, booted again and everything worked.

Thank you for somehow figuring it out - I'd be screwed otherwise!

Yes. error:attempt to read or write outside of disk

When I want to use a large hard disk, there is such an error, but I don't know how big it will go wrong. When I have a few hundred GB, there is no problem, but when it is TB, it cannot be used. There is no problem. it's wired. I have been troubled for a few days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!