Attach drives as removable storage

Blinkiz

Renowned Member
Jan 23, 2010
Stockholm Sweden
Hello
Is it possible to inform the guest operating system that "this attached extra drive" should be handled as removable storage? This of course also means Proxmox host needs to handle specified storage coming and going.

I have a NFS storage attached to my Proxmox cluster for the purpose to let customer place archive data.That NFS storage is not high availability and can go down temporary. Meaning it is cheaper storage for my customers. All virtual machines root volumes is located on high availability Ceph storage.
I create raw block devices on this NFS storage and attach this created block device as a secondary drive to a virtual machine. Problem is that guest operating system (Windows 2016) does not seem to like when for example "H:" suddenly stops working. How can I solve this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!