Asterisk performance under Proxmox

yesmat

Jul 25, 2009
Hi All,

Asterisk has always performed poorly under virtualisation platforms like VMware and Xen especially in busy environments, voice quality would not be acceptable. I understand that was due to clocking issues (not exactely sure what that means)

I was wondering if proxmox is any different and why.

Has any one been using Asterisk under Proxmox and tested it under load to see if it actually behave just like a physical server and whether or not we can use PSTN cards successfully?

Thanks

Hi All,

Asterisk has always performed poorly under virtualisation platforms like VMware and Xen especially in busy environments, voice quality would not be acceptable. I understand that was due to clocking issues (not exactely sure what that means)

Has any one been using Asterisk under Proxmox and tested it under load to see if it actually behave just like a physical server and whether or not we can use PSTN cards successfully?

Thanks

We run Asterisk in a Debian 64-bit container (debian 32 did not work), but we are miles away from a high load ...

But as openVZ is a container virtualization I assume it will perform better than full virtualization solutions - for details and the reason why openVZ is fast check the openVZ pages.

This was not the answer that we were hopping to hear :)

This means that we have to go back to the old days where we used to build asterisk, zaptel and freePBX from scratch on top of CentOS 5 :(

Thanks

This was not the answer that we were hopping to hear :)

This means that we have to go back to the old days where we used to build asterisk, zaptel and freePBX from scratch on top of CentOS 5 :(

Thanks

why?

Build a working tested template running the software you want setup the way you want and then install as many copies of that template as you want.

Hello People,
Even this thread appear to be out of date, but I'm asking around the same...
I have proxmox 1.8, runing kernel 2.6.32-4-pve.
I'm having troubles with containers using asterisk. First I detect that containers under OpenVz, with Ubuntu Lucid& Natty 64 bits, are completely unproductive with asterisk. With multiple calls, asterisk start to drop calls, over 10 simultaneous calls, all the rest is eing droped... I don't know if any one there are using the ubuntu lucid& natty apliance to share experience??
I moved to Centos 5 appliance, and following the same installation, asterisk start to handle around 100 calls, but no more, over 100 calls, the rest being droped within 503 message instead of 100 to confirm the ack.

Do you think there's a kernel error in the templates, or it's proxmox issue??

I made my tests using sipp from other container inside the same host, so testing and traffic are internally failing...

Any idea??

Hello,
I turned to kernel 2.6.18-6-pve, and now I have

HTML:
pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.8-18 (pve-manager/1.8/6070)
running kernel: 2.6.18-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.8-15
pve-kernel-2.6.32-3-pve: 2.6.32-14
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
pve-kernel-2.6.18-6-pve: 2.6.18-15
pve-kernel-2.6.32-1-pve: 2.6.32-4
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.28-1pve1
vzdump: 1.2-14
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-15

After rebooting the host, and repeat the sipp test, I still having the same, unexpected messages over 200 calls...

I'm wondering if virtualizing asterisk with this manner, it's able to handle so critical mission, theoretically yes, but the practice it's show the opposite... dose any one have such as service running, who may share the experience?

Hello Ubunter,
Did you have more info about your problem, we are working in some CentOs Container to have Asterisk working.
Are you talking about 200 concurent calls ?

regards

Nxtview

We gave up on Asterisk years ago - its architecture just doesn't lend itself to scaling and there seems to be no will to effect the fundamental change that would be required for it to do so. Regardless of what other alternative you choose, http://freeswitch.org/node/117 does a good job of explaining the issues.

I like freeswitch for service provider-like high volume applications and sipXecs for PBX or ACD applications. SipXecs actually uses freeswitch for its conferencing module.

Thanks for your response Mhotel, my last question is to know if i have an Asterisk with less than 100 SIP extension And SIP Tunks for external calls could i considere to Virtualize Asterisk with Proxmox and OpenVz ?

Thanks for your help

best regards

Hi All,

Thanks

Just saw you're post. Its a old post, but i use Proxmox from the first version. And running Asterisk with like 10 calls no problem at all. Don't know if 200. Thinks also depends on the hardware you have and fast Raid controllers. You need to check all of that. And some RAMS i have like 12 GB ;-) And good firewall stuff like that.
Its in production from 2009. Fixed some stuff now working with A2B ;-) I know Vmware did not look good for this in 2009. I stay with Proxmox. Stable and good.
My clients are always happy. good quality calls ;-))) And its growing :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!