[SOLVED] Assigned MAC differs from DHCP lease

user_0815

Jan 5, 2024
When creating a VM I tried to use a manually assigned MAC, after booting the OS(Ubuntu) and running ip a the VM correctly has the manually assigned MAC. However when checking the DHCP-server the ip lease contains some random very long MAC like this one: 9e-37-69-8d-00-02-00-00-ab-11-c7-79-01-4b-aa-5e
Is this an expected outcome or did I configure something wrong?

Cheers

However when checking the DHCP-server the ip lease contains some random very long MAC like this one: 9e-37-69-8d-00-02-00-00-ab-11-c7-79-01-4b-aa-5e
This isn't the MAC address then, but probably rather the DHCPv6 DUID. A MAC address is always six octets long.
So yes, kind of expected, but the DUID in general is just some unique (random) value, which contents should not be relied on in any way.

Does the VM get the correct IP address from the router?

It does not get the pre reserved IP address, which is based on the manually configured MAC, but it gets a random IP.

Then please provide some more information about the DHCP server.

Which implementation and version? How did you configure the static lease? Can you show the configuration?
Is only IPv4 in use, or also IPv6?

Thanks for the quick response. After you informed me that the DHCP is using DUID, I changed the /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf config by adding set dhcp-client-identifier = hardware;. After reloading dhclient it got the right IP address.

Cheers

Reactions: cheiss
Well, great to hear that you could solve this yourself!

Please just mark the thread as SOLVED by editing the first post, so that others with the same problem can find it more easily in the future! :)

Reactions: user_0815

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!