Assign some hard disks to a OpenVz CT

lojasyst

Apr 10, 2012
Hello

I wrote this post in Proxmox VE 1.x. I hope the moderator erase that post.

I am setting up a container running the cache server squid. The server running proxmox is a dell poweredge 2950 with 6 15K SAS HDs, 32GB ram. Dual processor.

I am not so much concerned about reliability or redundancy of the informacion included in the cache store because is regenerable. I just need the max performance.

I know I can join all hard disks through RAID or LVM to have only one big storage cache but for performance concerns I want to have 4 squid cache stores, each one using an individual hard disk.

So the question

How can I assign 4 separate HDs to a openvz container?

Thanks

You can't as far as I know. Its a container so it already has close to raw access to the disk the container is on.

/b

Hello

I wrote this post in Proxmox VE 1.x. I hope the moderator erase that post.

I am setting up a container running the cache server squid. The server running proxmox is a dell poweredge 2950 with 6 15K SAS HDs, 32GB ram. Dual processor.

I am not so much concerned about reliability or redundancy of the informacion included in the cache store because is regenerable. I just need the max performance.

I know I can join all hard disks through RAID or LVM to have only one big storage cache but for performance concerns I want to have 4 squid cache stores, each one using an individual hard disk.

So the question

How can I assign 4 separate HDs to a openvz container?

Thanks

That server probably has a Perc 5i or 6i. It has an LSI chip and will be much faster than individual disks.

Setup raid 0 on the controller if you don't care about the data, but I would use raid 10. Saves you from reinstalling if a disk blows up. I have the exact same machine with the same specs running 4 VMs and it flies. Pretty well no I/O delays. 2 of the VMs have HA Proxy and Varnish caches running. Never had any I/O issues.

My setup is RAID 10:

lspci: RAID bus controller: Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID controller 5

blockdev --setra 4096 /dev/mapper/pve-root
blockdev --setra 4096 /dev/mapper/pve-data

pveperf:
BUFFERED READS: 432.12 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.13 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 3160.54

Second 2950 but with 7200 rpm SAS instead of 15k:

BUFFERED READS: 314.58 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 8.63 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 2447.91

This will beat the pants off single SAS disks any day, even with 4 VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!