ARM Hardware

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by batijuank, Nov 6, 2018.

1. batijuank

batijuank Member

Can Proxmox VE be installed on ARM server? If so, those anyone has done it yet? And finally, I'm currently working in a small factory (less than 100 users), we want to setup a High Aviability Cluster with 3 nodes, since our workload per user is not high, we thought of using ARM servers, is this possible?

#1 batijuank, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. guletz

guletz Active Member

Hi,

As I remember you can not use proxmox on ARM, but if your ARM cpu have hw virtualization you can create a VM and then you can install proxmox in this VM. But I think that this is not a very nice setup. I test for myself some years ago on a ARM (odrod c2)and the performance was not I have expected; )

batijuank likes this.
  3. batijuank

batijuank Member

That's a shame, I really like the idea of having ARM CPU servers with Proxmox, as they are cheaper and consume less power, for small business with low workloads, this is something to worth having.

Anyway, I would like this info you gave to be confirmed by Proxmox itself.

4. guletz

guletz Active Member

No, it is about money! Proxmox is not a very big project, and to start a ARM support need many man power hours!

5. wbumiller

wbumiller Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

There's a work-in-progress with some patches to get things going on the devel list which is runnable, but there's no official support or release yet (and therefore incompatibilities to be expected between versions). ARM hardware can be a bit annoying to support in a "generic" way, kernel-wise, and unfortunately many of the smaller platforms which I'd expect people to be testing around with (and which would therefore be nice to be working out of the box) either don't provider kernel sources in a usable way, or with no clear upstream base to figure out what they're doing, or not at all, and often don't work with mainline kernels, and/or take so long to get things upstream that they're simply not of interest anymore by then...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    batijuank likes this.
  6. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Also, competitive (performance wise) ARM Hardware is currently more expensive than x86 hardware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    batijuank likes this.
  7. batijuank

batijuank Member

@dietmar and @wbumiller thanks for the answer, one last thing, does Proxmox has a proven hardware list of some kind for servers?

8. Jianwen Zhu

Jianwen Zhu New Member

I suggest to only support ARM servers and the available server platforms in this case are really limited. We have access to some
    server boxes and can volunteer to test.

Re whether it is economically justified to
    support — I think it is about preparing for
    the future. It is rather chick-and-egg problem:
    without software like proxmox in the ecosystem, ARM will never take off;
    And without ARM server having some
    momentum, software is never justified
    to develop. I do think for the same
    economic reason VMWare won’t
    get into ARM, but that’s where Proxmox
    may carve some niche. My 2 cents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice