Are there any plans to support virgl?

jic5760

Nov 10, 2020
I want to take acceleration of graphics acceleration using virtio-gpu.
By the way, proxmox's qemu doesn't seem to support virgl.
Are there any plans to apply?
Is it because it still doesn't support virgl over network? Where can I find information on this?
Or is there a way to implement it in another way? (with Spice, except pci passthrough, not possible due to iommu problem)
Thanks.

Last edited:
I am keen to find out more about this too.
This is my current understanding:
  • Virgl uses a shader library (Gallium) inside the guest and that interacts with a MESA Driver and Kernel KMS.
  • Virgl (QEMU) then converts the driver tasks into OpenGL for the host GPU to compute.
Here are my questions:
  • Is this limited to one VM per GPU? OpenGL tasks from multiple applications are sent to a single GPU at a time, so I hope that multiple VMs can utilize a single GPU.
  • Given that this is in all likelihood very very easy to setup relative to PCI passthrough, would VMs be able to migrate between hosts and utilize other host's GPUs?
  • I have not seen much mention of this, is there a significant problem that the development team is trying to avoid with this technology?
Cheers! https://virgil3d.github.io/

Tmanok

Actually I don't have that good eyes, as I am the one who opened the enhancement after searching for days and nights to make this work. :) And of course I landed here! I wanted to let you know the enhancement might help what you're looking for and also if you are willing you can upvote it and make the request even more interesting for Proxmox team. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!