[SOLVED] Are my running and backup strategies correct?

Flight6334

Mar 30, 2024
Hi,

Really quick question. I want to make sure.

I have my Synology NAS where I created a NFS share only for Proxmox. I connected to "storage" with the following options: "Disk image, ISO image, Container template, VZDump backup file, Container".

If I run a Docker service on a VM with relevant files saved on it ("mapped folders" of the Docker Compose), and I trigger a backup on the NAS via PVE.

Is everything correct even my VM crashes or PVE?

(of course, I then backup my entire proxmox shared folder to a S3 storage for off-site backup).

Thanks!!

Hi,

Really quick question. I want to make sure.

I have my Synology NAS where I created a NFS share only for Proxmox. I connected to "storage" with the following options: "Disk image, ISO image, Container template, VZDump backup file, Container".

If I run a Docker service on a VM with relevant files saved on it ("mapped folders" of the Docker Compose), and I trigger a backup on the NAS via PVE.

Is everything correct even my VM crashes or PVE?

(of course, I then backup my entire proxmox shared folder to a S3 storage for off-site backup).

Thanks!!

The vzdump backup will include any data in the VM that has been written to disk. The backup does not guarantee consistency for things like databases which may still have data in memory.

The backup will be a single file on your NAS that can be restored to another PVE installation.

Having the guest agent installed in your VM is important.

You should test your backups and review the documentation on backing up your application.

Reactions: Flight6334

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!