Are custom CPU type arguments possible?

dgeist

Feb 26, 2015
Hi, I'm dealing with a commercial kvm-compatible VNF image that I would like to host on a PVE cluster. I've been able to get it to boot on kvm/qemu/libvirt setup on an ubuntu host, but seem to be unable to pass the proper CPU options to the VM under PVE.

I would like to do the following:
--cpu SandyBridge,+vmx,-invtc

Is it possible to provide commandline arguments to a VM's execution anywhere or to create a "custom" CPE profile for use?

Dan

Hi, I'm dealing with a commercial kvm-compatible VNF image that I would like to host on a PVE cluster. I've been able to get it to boot on kvm/qemu/libvirt setup on an ubuntu host, but seem to be unable to pass the proper CPU options to the VM under PVE.

I would like to do the following:
--cpu SandyBridge,+vmx,-invtc

Is it possible to provide commandline arguments to a VM's execution anywhere or to create a "custom" CPE profile for use?

Dan
Hi Dan,
you can use the args argument. Like
Code:
args: -cpu qemu64,-nx
use this command to see the valid flags
Code:
kvm -cpu help
Udo

Thanks, Udo. I assume that goes in the <VMID>.conf file? I also found that I need serial console access (as opposed to emulated VGA. I was able to make both work properly simply by launching the VMs from CLI, but having it be accessible from the UI would be a boon for management simplicity (part of the desire is to make some of this a little more "pointy-clicky" for others in my organization...)

<edit> it appears the following is enough to get things rolling (for the new 15.1 series of the juniper vsrx)
args: -cpu SandyBridge,-invtsc

The serial console appears to be there by default, I just wasn't waiting long enough for the nested hypervisor to launch it.

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

could you post your configuration? I managed vSRX to start but it would only boot to “Wind River Linux 6.0.0.15” prompt - not JunOS prompt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!