[SOLVED] ArchLinux CT doesnt seem to play nice

yswery

May 6, 2018
Hi team

I just created a stock standerd container with the Proxmox downloaded ArchLinux template,

On boot, when I enter the container I get the following errors:

Code:
[root@99999 ~]# systemctl status sys-kernel-config.mount
● sys-kernel-config.mount - Kernel Configuration File System
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sys-kernel-config.mount; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-04-17 07:02:34 UTC; 23s ago
    Where: /sys/kernel/config
     What: configfs
     Docs: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/configfs/configfs.txt
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems

Apr 17 07:02:34 99999 mount[46]: mount: /sys/kernel/config: permission denied.

Code:
[root@99999 ~]# systemctl status sys-kernel-debug.mount 
● sys-kernel-debug.mount - Kernel Debug File System
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sys-kernel-debug.mount; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-04-17 07:02:34 UTC; 1min 10s ago
    Where: /sys/kernel/debug
     What: debugfs
     Docs: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/debugfs.txt
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems

Apr 17 07:02:34 99999 mount[44]: mount: /sys/kernel/debug: permission denied.

Can anyone know what I can do to fix this (it gives other issues when doing upgrades in pacman)

Please try to enable the `nesting` feature for containers with newer systemd (like arch)

I have enabled nesting and restart the container but still same errors, here is my conf for the container:

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 10
hostname: 99999
memory: 5120
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=B2:AC:AC:D1:51:48,type=veth
ostype: archlinux
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-99999-disk-0,size=8G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1
features: nesting=1

Does anyone know how to get a default Archlinux system working as a container on proxmox? I tried a varient of things and still can not get these errors to work

Does anyone know how to get a default Archlinux system working as a container on proxmox? I tried a varient of things and still can not get these errors to work

you need nesting=1 and keyctl=1

but I migrated to debian to most of my containers

I added keyctl=1 and rebooted, but still getting:

Code:
mount: /sys/kernel/config: permission denied.

mount: /sys/kernel/config: permission denied.
* the configfs and debugfs are not mountable in a container - quite sure because that would break isolation.
However apart from the error-messages (which can be disabled by simply disabling/masking the corresponding mount-units) - what is not working?
I quickly setup an archlinux container and upgraded it - it works here.

For example When installing openssh I get the following

Code:
[root@99999 ~]#  pacman -S openssh
warning: openssh-7.9p1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) openssh-7.9p1-1

Total Installed Size:  4.65 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                             [####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                           [####################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                [####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                          [####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                        [####################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling openssh                                                                 [####################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Creating temporary files...
error: command failed to execute correctly
(3/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

More specially:
(2/3) Creating temporary files...error: command failed to execute correctly

Which I assume is due to the mounting potentially?

Ok - Thanks - can reproduce that error message here as well!
* seems this comes from systemd-tmpfiles --create (see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=237221)
* during the run I get the following error in the journal:
Code:
Apr 19 11:01:17 archtest systemd-tmpfiles[222]: Failed to open file "/sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload": Permission denied
which is to be expected in a container
* with some grepping - it seems that the package 'linux-firmware' ships a file which tries to access the file
* AFAIK a container does not really need the package - so removing it also removes the error-message - `pacman -R linux-firmware`

Apart from that I think that the message can be ignored as well

Hope this helps!

Reactions: yswery and KORG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!