apt update doesn't work

swills1

Dec 2, 2022
apt update never worked. I installed PM years ago and it never worked out of the box. I was told it shouldn't without a subscription. I always did apt upgrade to upgrade.

I'm kind of cleaning up my PM server / revisiting some setup since it is a lot easier to do things now than it was when I first installed. There's two main things I want to fix and this is one of them.

I do apt update and I get

Code:
Target Packages (pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list:1

But those files have nothing in them. So nothing on line 6 or 1. How do I fix? Without a reinstall.

You do not need a support subscription to use the no-subscription repository, which you appear to have configured twice. Once in /etc/apt/sources.list and once in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list. It is not configured by the Proxmox installer. See the manual for more information about configuring repositories and upgrading Proxmox.

EDIT: Apologies for misunderstanding your question. Let me know if you want me to delete this post. Thank you for pointing out why I do what I do.

Last edited:
I solved it. It was my pubkey. apt update never worked out of the box so it is great to finally have that command working.

Reactions: leesteken
Never do a apt upgrade. This might screw up your PVE installation. Only use apt dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade.
I didn't put it in an inline code block because I wasn't being literal, but thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!