apt-get dist-upgrade - The following packages have been kept back: pve-manager zfs-initramfs...

jsalas424

Jul 5, 2020
Hello,

I'm running PVE 6.4-4 and cannot upgrade via the GUI any further. I have only ever upgraded through the GUI.

Code:
Starting system upgrade: apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libpve-access-control pve-manager zfs-initramfs zfs-zed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

System not fully up to date (found 32 new packages)

How do I proceed?

please follow the instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0 , and please keep the following in mind:

Perform the actions via console or ssh; preferably via console to avoid interrupted ssh connections. Do not carry out the upgrade when connected via the virtual console offered by the GUI; as this will get interrupted during the upgrade.

soo.... what if you... oopsed this, and you need to un-F yourself... what do we do...

soo.... what if you... oopsed this, and you need to un-F yourself... what do we do...
1. be a bit more specific what 'this' refers to ;)

Sorry, started upgrade using GUI and not in local terminal… either way…. I’m just reinstalling. But in case, anyone wanted to know…. How do you rollback the upgrade, and then proper upgrade, or fix an incomplete upgrade.

if the upgrade got interrupted, you may be able to recover by connecting via SSH or local console/iKVM/iDRAC/.., and then try apt install -f or dpkg --configure -a (inside a tmux or screen session).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!