APC UPS boots server immediately after poweroff

JurgenMK

Mar 22, 2020
Hello,
I recently acquired an APC 1000 UPS, which I succesfully configured, apart from that it boots the server immediately after poweroff, while still on batteries.
I tried to see why, in logs, but the only usb to be able to wake the server is the ups, how can I set the ups to only boot when mains is back on?

Reactions: tuyenda1985
In the servers BIOS there is a setting controlling the way the server behaves when power is lost and power is returned. Normally there are three settings: Start when power comes back (sounds like your case since the UPS supplies sufficient power), stay powered off, or return to the previous mode (could also be your case). You can try adjusting this setting to see whether it solves your problem.

Hi @JurgenMK ,

In my "universe", I see case like you, despite I have a good APC(with a proper configurations). You maybe know that mostly APC device will decide that you lose the power under 180 V ac. This must be corelate with the time for go to this value(usually milisecs). And APC UPS can detect this low power(180 V) in 8-12 ms. If this transition is < [8-12 ms] then the UPS will not change to batteries and yor server will get a nice power off/restart !!!!

What you can do it: use any dedicated PC power outlet(and be sure you can see at lest 2 parameters: time to detect the surge, < 2 ms, and minimum energy = 4 KJ => sorry but my english is very bad, but you are a smart guy and you figure what I am try to say) => problem solve

Note that it is also possible that @mir to have a valid point. You can check if is the case, removing the 220 V input outlet from your APC and see if your server will reboot(so you are in the @mir described use case)!

Usually the ups only does the shut down part.

The startup is handled by your bios.

The UPS will send a shutdown over usb/serial and then wait a specific timeout and cut ac power.

Your bios will notice the ac cut and you can configure what happens.

Usually you wanna set power on after "ac/power loss"

You might wanna check your bios settings.

Can you post the output of "apcaccess" and "cat /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf"

in bios there was a setting indeed for power on behavior, but it was set to last, not on so changed it to off anyway

apcaccess output
apcupsd.conf

Dont set it to "off" set it back to "last" or "on" !

There are some problems with your ups configuration.

I would recommend you strongly to increase MBATTCHG / MINTIMEL

Right now your server only has 3 minutes to shut down, this can quickly get critical.

DWAKE is set to -1, so the ups will restart your server immidetly.

Last edited:
Dont set it to "off" set it back to "last" or "on" !

There are some problems with your ups configuration.

I would recommend you strongly to increase MBATTCHG / MINTIMEL

Right now your server only has 3 minutes to shut down, this can quickly get critical.

DWAKE is set to -1, so the ups will restart your server immidetly.
I reverted the settings, and changed the MBATTCHG / MINTIMEL, but cannot find the according entry for the DWAKE setting in the apcupsd.conf

I reverted the settings, and changed the MBATTCHG / MINTIMEL, but cannot find the according entry for the DWAKE setting in the apcupsd.conf

Sorry i meant set the option to "on" not to "last" my bad..

It seems like you bought the ups used ?

You should perform a factory reset, so the DWAKE value gets cleared.

Make sure to do a full test and completly drain the battery so the ups can recalibrate its "time left" calculation.

If the battery is really from 2009 like reported i would be cautious. Battery life expectations are 3-5 years.

Sorry i meant set the option to "on" not to "last" my bad..

It seems like you bought the ups used ?

You should perform a factory reset, so the DWAKE value gets cleared.

Make sure to do a full test and completly drain the battery so the ups can recalibrate its "time left" calculation.

If the battery is really from 2009 like reported i would be cautious. Battery life expectations are 3-5 years.
yes I bought the ups used, but batteries have been replaced.
Even after resetting (disconnecting, and holding the I button for like 4 seconds and releasing while long beep is active)
apcaccess still logs the values like before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!