Anyone else seen this? Ubuntu 12.04. LTS 64bit / KVM install - hangs late boot-weird

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, just curious if anyone else has seen this. I first bumped into this last week:

• ProxVE 3.X/latest host or Prox 2.X/latest - same behaviour in either case it seems.
  • Install a clean KVM VM with Ubuntu 12.04/64bit/latest ISO as install media (as of Oct-29-13 the ISO in question is called, ubuntu-12.04.3-server-amd64.iso)
  • VirtIO disk and NIC
  • stock install, minimal, proceeds, fine, reboot at end
  • system console reboots .. looks pretty normal .. then sits there forever part-way through the init sequence [OK] messages
  • normally if booting smoothly it flies through this in <30 seconds and gets to login prompt

At this point I can connect via SSH to IP provisioned to the host. But boot takes >10 min or longer to get console to login prompt (!)

Did quick google and just for fun made this tweak:

Code:
root@box:~# less /etc/default/grub

..... NOTE THIS BLOCK---------------

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
# TDC Oct-2013 arrgh
GRUB_GFXMODE=text

Subsequent reading suggests this mode is actually not real, and I'm causing it to fail back to more primitive console. (same desired effect really )

Anyhoo. After making this change the horrid little VM now boots up almost instantly, no delay at the [OK] services starting steps.

I have seen this behaviour now on >5 different clean installs of Ubuntu LTS 1204.

In contrast if I stand up a CentOS (6, or even 5 or even 4) KVM VM instance on the same ProxVE host, we don't appear to get any behaviour out of the ordinary. (again using using VirtIO HDD and NIC)

Just wondering if anyone else has bumped into this detail before, and if there is a good:easy:rational cause that is documented:discussed?

Tim

Re: Anyone else seen this? Ubuntu 12.04. LTS 64bit / KVM install - hangs late boot-we

Ya, I also face very difficulty with this. Not expected this from ubuntu LTS version.

Re: Anyone else seen this? Ubuntu 12.04. LTS 64bit / KVM install - hangs late boot-we

Thanks for the followup / response. I continue to see this on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS based installs on KVM/Proxmox. My kludge/workaround continues to be adequate, just annoying.

Great fun. At least I'm not the only one :)

Thanks,

Tim

I have few VMs with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 Bit. Never had any issue as you described when i installed them sometime ago. Just to check, i did 3 fresh installs an hour ago and all of them went just fine. Boots as usual in less than a minute. Are you using default Video?

yes, default video. I'm doing virtio NIC and HDD but stock default video etc.

Tim

Have you tried Spice? Works here.

Only thing not working is using virtio disk when installing. When installer reaches the point where it searches for disks the VM crashes so use SATA under installation and change later to virtio.

Humm, I have tested spice but don't normally use it as default. Will try that. Thanks for suggestion.

Odd that Virtio Disk causes grief for you; I find that - for me - most modern linux distros install fine directly to VirtIO HDD/NIC without any issue.

Tim

Humm, I have tested spice but don't normally use it as default. Will try that. Thanks for suggestion.

Odd that Virtio Disk causes grief for you; I find that - for me - most modern linux distros install fine directly to VirtIO HDD/NIC without any issue.

Tim
Hi,
AFAIK ubuntu has an special kernel for VMs (like linux-image-2.6.32-36-virtual on a 10.4) - I had not boot-problems, but some strange hangups without this kernel.

Udo

Anyone has found any solution?

Anyone has found any solution?

Hi,

I've had the issue. Simply changing the Display (in the hardware tab) from default to vmware or Cirrus Logic worked for me.

Gerald

Another way to solve this is to add the nomodeset option to the kernel command in /etc/default/grub

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!