Anyone an 'Online' UPS up and running with Proxmox host?

holgihero

Jan 13, 2010
We try to get a ONLINE (brand name) Zinto A 800 running with Proxmox host. - Software installs ok. - Webserver and Management environment is up. - Power-on/off events are detected by software. - Mail is sent out. BUT it does not trigger shut down. Support says 'Proxmox not supported...' What makes me wonder is that it is obviously java software and therefore I can not see why it would not work with Proxmox-Debian. Has anyone such a device running? Regards, Holger

Hallo Holger.
The Name "Proxmox" is not important.
Tell them that there is an Debian-System.
Phone "Online USV Systems". Ask for the Software. There is an Company in Hamburg an the man there can help you. :)
Sorry. I don´t have the Phonenumber now.

Quickly

Thank you for your suggestion but I already talked to tech support from hamburg. And they refused to help after it turned out that it is no Debian. From my findings it has something to do with libs. They bring their own but dont register them. Im not through with that and will let you know. Regards, holger ---- P.S. Forum Software is eating my linefeeds

mir, I know what you want to say.
But this is not a discussion between us, you will have to convince the guy from tech support. He tested 'uname -a' and finished the conversation: "Software is not certified for such a system."
And for some reasons I understand his attitude. You will not get RedHat certified support for Scientific Linux either...

Best regards, Holger

I've no more bought Online UPS, since they just "support" GNU/Linux with proprietary programs, something must be avoided like hell.
I've used APC UPS, very well supported by apcupsd, but recent models have a proprietary protocol that apcupsd does not understand (except for basic functionality).
Now I'm evaluating Eaton products, since they should be very involved in Nut development (http://www.debian.org/partners/index.en.html).
Explain this to Online customer support, as I did to APC one, maybe if we start be a lot, they would start to care...

I've no more bought Online UPS, since they just "support" GNU/Linux with proprietary programs, something must be avoided like hell.

Yes, they bring their own java, their own libs and a blob linked to this... Not very nice.
Not nice either is that this model (Zinto A 800) comes with a fan which is louder than the HP server it feeds. APC manages to go without forced coolin (no moving parts) so I consider this buy a mistake but have to stick with it.
Next time I'l be smarter (hopefully).

Regards, Holger

Yes, would be worth a try. But I have to install on monday so I hacked that thing badly:
The only thing I got working was sending out emails via a shellscript so I hacked that like 'if [ "$MESSAGE" == "ONBAT" ]; then /etc/apcupsd/onbattery' using adapted scripts ...
And for revenge I did not document a single word...
A nice weekend to everybody, Holger

That support attitude is outright ridiculous. Anyway I'd have them fix it by hooking up the UPS temporarily to some random PC running a vanilla Debian install. They solve the problem there and then you implement it on the Proxmox host...

To stay with the truth I have to say that on the first call the support guy was willing to help, only at the second call he told me his supervisor ordered him to stop supporting this.
And of course I can try this and that but this device is worth 180 Euros and I expected to have it up and running in half an hour maximum. Who would pay for two days fiddling with it. I'll stick with APC next time.
Best regards, Holger

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!