Any way to get nested Hyper-V working on AMD system

yaro014

Dec 27, 2012
I'm on AMD platform with 3995WX
When I turn on nested KVM support the system becomes a little bit unstable even when VMs are not doing any nested virtualisation.
When I launch Windows10 with WSL2 enabled the VM freezes permanently very quickly after reboot.

I read that nested AMD doesnt work well with Hyper-V, is there any way to make it work ? I had it working ok on intel platform.

Yes, I am now on latest beta `pve-manager/7.0-5/cce9b25f (running kernel: 5.11.22-1-pve)`
And I have config for nested virtualisation enabled.

Code:
root@pve:~# cat /sys/module/kvm_amd/parameters/nested   

From time to time I managed to get windows booted and run VM in virtualisation and then it just freezes... nothing in dmesg nor any signs of error.

It's shame it's not working on AMD however, I believe recently discovered bug in AMD/KVM allowing to escape into the host was related to nested virtualization

It's shame it's not working on AMD however
MS seems to work on this, there were already some improvements, but nothing really use-able (at least for me).

=> Use Intel if you need this feature.

Reactions: yaro014

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!