Any performance difference: Node Local storage vs Shared storage

Jun 19, 2019
I am new here so please forgive any forum faux pas and let me know so I don't keep doing it :)
Also, I am originally from a Windows Hyper-V background so please feel free to correct terminology mistakes.

I am setting Proxmox up on a single physical server with 3 raid arrays (it has a HW RAID controller Adaptec 8805).
The first is a mirrored RAID for the OS.
The 2nd is a mirrored SSD raid to host a SQL DB (will only have the virtual HDD for the QM that hosts the DB).
The 3rd is a RAID 10 array for virtual HDD for other QMs.

Since this is going to be a single node (no clustering, SAN etc), I think that putting the 2nd RAID on the local storage (adding it to the Node -> Disks as a directory) would be more performant than adding it as a shared storage (the datacenter -> Storage as a directory).
Is this assumption correct?

Thanks in advance.
Alvin

would be more performant than adding it as a shared storage (the datacenter -> Storage as a directory).
"Shared Storage" is only a flag, you need to setup the Storage behind as Shared Storage, after you adding it in PVE and set the Checkbox, you can select on which Node the Storage are usable. But in generell the Flag "Shared Storage" does nothing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!