Any news on lxc online migration?

grin

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hungary
grin.hu
It's been more than 2 years now since I last asked about the status report of online migration of containers.
Oh, and got no answer, so it's been 5 years since I have heard anything about this from you guys.

Would be nice to know that at least you keep in mind that we're right here waiting.

Thanks!

I do not think that it is possible to live migrate a container.

A container are just processes running in a different namespace on the host's kernel.

You cannot freeze a process and transport it to another host and unfreeze it there like you can do with a virtual machine.

I do not think that it is possible to live migrate a container.

A container are just processes running in a different namespace on the host's kernel.

You cannot freeze a process and transport it to another host and unfreeze it there like you can do with a virtual machine.

I understand that you don't think that.
Have you ever seen OpenVZ? It also have done the "impossible", and had a working checkpointing and freeze/thaw infrastructure.

Like: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroup-v1/freezer-subsystem.txt

I guess you never heard of criu either?

Reactions: guletz
I also remember, half a decade ago that someone have complained about various mount(ed) namespaces and that their freeze isn't well developed in the kernel, but since then a lot of years have came to pass, and it may work.

I probably shall play a little with criu and lxc and see what I get, but it's not the same as our renowned px developers. :cool:

Reactions: waltar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!