AMD Radeon Reset Bug almost beaten - I Think

xrstokes

Oct 14, 2019
High, I've been going at the machine for almost a week now because i have certain requirments. I need hyperv nested VMS and a graphics card passthrough, I spent more than i should on different gpus trying to make it work. In order to get hyperv working i need the 440fx chipset and that doesn't allow me to get around nvidia code 43. I rushed out and brought an amd rx580 only to run into the reset bug. But in all my playing i might have come up with a solution. If i remove the device from the removable devices section, before shutting down. i can reboot the machine and use the rx580. I can script the removal on of the gpu on shutdown using deveject.exe and group policy. [c:\scripts\deveject.exe -EjectId:'PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_C5801682&REV_E7\3&13C0B0C5&0&80' -v] has to run in powershell, not sure why.
This works ALWAYS when shutting down but not for reboot because the card isn't re-plugged. Then I got an idea, what if when windows was starting, I had a script that checked for the GPU, If not. hot plugged it. http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Hotadd_pci_devices#Use_QEMU_monitor_to_hot_add_device
Could someone help me learn qemu monitor please so I can complete this. I could ssh into pve from windows and run the qemu monitor commands to hot plug the gpu. That would be a complete work around for the reset bug. Please help.

The Proxmox VE 6.1 has a "reboot" feature, that triggers a shutdown and start. IIUC, this would make the qemu monitor commands unnecessary.

You are absolutely correct, while I initially couldn't get it to work without rebooting the machine. I changed the pci slot and it's worked ever since without making any mods. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: Alwin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!