AMD GPU passthrough to container

firewood0188

Mar 23, 2020
Hi,

I am new to use Proxmox and I am setting up Shinobi in Ubuntu LXC. My home server's CPU is AMD fx-8800p CPU which contains 8 GPUs. So, I would like to use these GPU for hardware acceleration in Shinobi. How can I activate the GPUs in LXC?

Thanks!

Hi,
were you able to solve the issue in the meantime? If not, you could try using
Code:
lxc-device -n <ID> add /dev/<DEVICE>
where <ID> is the ID of your container. And you might need to use a privileged container for this.

Hi,
were you able to solve the issue in the meantime? If not, you could try using
Code:
lxc-device -n <ID> add /dev/<DEVICE>
where <ID> is the ID of your container. And you might need to use a privileged container for this.
Sorry for maybe hijacking the question, after the passthrough, how should the drivers be installed?
For example with AMD, it seems now we need to install ROCm. Could this be done on the host, and maybe again inside the LXC?

This seems to be the minimum requirement for utilizing say OpenCL.

Hi,
Sorry for maybe hijacking the question, after the passthrough, how should the drivers be installed?
For example with AMD, it seems now we need to install ROCm. Could this be done on the host, and maybe again inside the LXC?

This seems to be the minimum requirement for utilizing say OpenCL.
since the container uses the same kernel as the host, it should be enough to install the drivers on the host. But I haven't done this myself, so I don't know whether there are some quirks to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!