AMA (Ask Me Anything) thread, Veeam PM

Pavel Tide

Sep 6, 2024
Prague, Czech Republic
Hello everyone,

Since Veeam community forum does not allow non-commercial domains to be used for registration, I decided to show up here and address any questions that you may have.

I am a Senior Product Owner at Veeam and I am the one who oversees the integration with Proxmox VE.

Ask away : )

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi @Pavel Tide , welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to say that it's great of Veeam to participate here. I don't have any questions yet. I just started an install of an eval to try it out and to make sure it works with our storage backend.

Best,

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Tide
Welcome and first 3 questions then:
  1. How are you?
  2. How were the last couple of months of product-development on Proxmox?
  3. Is there anything you would have liked to have been included in (this initial) version but couldn't because of either time-constraints or technical limitations in either product (Proxmox or Veeam)

Hi Pavel,

Good news: I’ve successfully set up Veeam for Proxmox and tested Blockbridge storage. I managed to complete several backups, though I encountered some issues with the restore operations.

I found that backups for powered-off VMs didn’t succeed. Is this something that will be addressed in a future release? Additionally, the restore process seems to be having trouble, possibly due to a lack of integration with storage activation.

One thing that might be helpful is to integrate Veeam into our internal testing platforms to get continuous testing cycles for your PVE integration (like we do for PBS). If you want to connect at a technical level, let me know.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: gurubert
Hi @sw-omit,

1. I am good, thanks! What about you?

2. Well, it was quite a bumpy road sometimes, but overall it was interesting.

3. Huh, there is at least a dozen of things I would love to have in v1.

My Top-3 are:

"use non-root for management" (requires some job to be done on PVE side)

"application-aware processing" (this is purely Veeam thing for now)

"bitlooker for Linux VMs" (this one is complex and will most likely require some tight collboration with Proxmox developers)

Last edited:
@bbgeek17

> I found that backups for powered-off VMs didn’t succeed.

This is an unexpected behaviour - in our QA labs powered off VMs could be backed up just fine. Please file a support case with Veeam and let me know the case number so that I can pull it a little bit higher through the queue.

> Additionally, the restore process seems to be having trouble, possibly due to a lack of integration with storage activation.

I will need more details for sure. Would you share what exactly is going on?

> One thing that might be helpful is to integrate Veeam into our internal testing platforms to get continuous testing cycles for your PVE integration (like we do for PBS). If you want to connect at a technical level, let me know.

I guess you would like to have some API for that? Feel free to PM.

Cheers

I am a Senior Product Owner at Veeam and I am the one who oversees the integration with Proxmox VE.

That's an interesting product development strategy, but indeed it works, I would not have known about the integration prior to this post!

I would have 2 cheeky ones, if I can:

a) When I look at your announcement [1], it would appear that "Vendor Independence" is a key point of emphasis. How does one, however, secure the same independence from Veeam, as a vendor?

b) How do you see your offering not canibalising Proxmox own's PBS [2]?

Thank you.

[1] https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-backup-for-proxmox.html
[2] https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-backup-server/overview

Last edited:
I would add a third one, just to confirm:

c) There's nothing open source in Veeam portfolio, correct? The backup formats all proprietary only?

Well, I cannot speak for the company, so I will skip the first two questions : ) However, I wil gladly address technical questions.

Thank you for passing the FSF agent test. ;)

Now on a more serious note, the a) above was sort of technical question as well - is there an option for one to en masse convert the backups to some (albeit less capable) open format in case of an abrupt need for exodus? Thinking thousands of VMs, so something automated.

As for open-source components - there are a few items that are open-source, you can find them here: https://github.com/veeam

Our largest open-source project is blksnap: https://github.com/veeam/blksnap

Oh thanks for this! I actually did not know that e.g. the kernel module actually WAS open source.

From my point of view, it is great that current users of Veeam have a way to migrate between hypervisors. At the same time, once they have done so to a free solution, I would suggest to them to start asking for more free (i.e. at liberty to inspect, modify, redistribute) software.

As I have been roasting the same blend here less than a fortnight ago in respect to Proxmox themselves - and as you can tell they are nice people NOT moderating such posts, I felt it to be appropriate to point out that Proxmox own's backup solution actually falls in that category for anyone coming across this thread post-migration.

(Note: I do not actually care for pricing difference between the products in that aspect, that's everyone's commercial decision to make.)

PS I actually found it hilarious that since "Veeam community forum does not allow non-commercial domains to be used for registration", you used this avenue, but no hard feelings.

Last edited:
"use non-root for management" (requires some job to be done on PVE side)

"application-aware processing" (this is purely Veeam thing for now)

"bitlooker for Linux VMs" (this one is complex and will most likely require some tight collboration with Proxmox developers)
Hi Pavel,

application aware processing is definitely the one I most desperately need to migrate production completely.

Does the last item mean that bitlooker, i.e. deleted file blocks exclusion works already for Windows VMs (with NTFS volumes)?

I will set up a first Proxmox box with a non-critical VM in the next weeks. The hardware is already here. Curious to see how it goes...

Best regards!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!