Alt Gr is unusable in console

Frigg

Sep 4, 2016
Hello,
I'm running Proxmox VE 5.2-9 up to date.
Some of my vm's are accessible only via console.
Alt Gr dosen't work when accessing vm via console. Therfore it is impossible to access to vm having passwords containing specials caracteres needing ALT GR, or for those that haven't this problem, to connect to a network file...
What can I do to be able to use caracters needing alt gr ?
Thanks for help.
Hervé

What console solution?
Generally I find keyboard support considerably better when using spice console, so if you haven't tried spice try it.

generally novnc works (i have no problems here with alt gr, pve 5.2 with chromium 69)
the best compatibility is when you have selected 'default' for datacenter keyboard layout and for the vm keyboard layout also, then the guest keyboard layout 'should' work
i say should, because depending on the client it still may be messed up (e.g. edge is generally a little weird with keyboards, firefox on windows had recently a bug with altgr and keyevents)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!